Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
davebb
My Device: Bold 9700

How do you create a time limited trial?

Does anyone know how to set up a try and buy application?  I want to give a time limited free trial and then after that period ask the customer to either pay or have the app removed.

Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How do you create a time limited trial?

Basically you upload two versions of your app when you upload a release to the vendor portal. 

When you set the license model to try and buy, there will be a checkbox where you indicate which version is the trial version.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
davebb
My Device: Bold 9700

thanks for the reply.   does that mean you need to create a "lite" version as well as a main version? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Zandozan
My Device: Playbook

Exactly.  There are usually two paths to go on this.  

The first would be to time-box it, where you put some logic in your code that checks to see if too much time has passed and disables the app, or popup an annoying message or something to remind them to buy the full version.

The second would be to create a "lite" version which has limited functionality.  

In my app CreataScene, I took the second approach.  My trial version has less content available, and users cannot save their pictures.

An easy way to approach this is to put a flag in your code like FULL_VERSION = true, and have your code do your special logic that either limits or timeboxes based on the value of that.  This way it is easy to create the trial or full version without having to do code changes or keep separate branches for each.

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

davebb wrote:

thanks for the reply.   does that mean you need to create a "lite" version as well as a main version? 

Not necessarily. Most often the trial version would expire after a certain period. You would need to store the date of the first run and perhaps warn the user about the time left in the trial (if any)  each time the app starts.

You could let the user use a "lite" version after the trial period or you might choose to disable the app. The exact way you implement this is up to you. The important thing is to make sure the user knows how your free trial works and not to be too annoying with pop-ups and such. Hope this helps. 

Good luck.

Please use plain text.