Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
bobdodd
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -
Accepted Solution

How long to wait before contacting BB Devs about approval delays?

I submitted two apps, one on March 12, and one on March 16.

The March 16 app (4Transit Thunder Bay) was approved on March 18, which was great.

The March 12 app (4Transit Toronto) still has a status of "New" today on March 26 (two weeks today).

Should I yet be concerned at the time taken?

I understand that with the current backlog, you can be lucky or unlucky with your approval times, but I thought things were now getting back to normal?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How long to wait before contacting BB Devs about approval delays?

If by 3 weeks, you have not been approved, then I would contact someone.
Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

So actually it's not improving at all then :-(

I was at the BlackBerry Dev Group meeting in Toronto last night, and came away reasonably positive. They'd been demoing the Android porting, and I was thinking that even with all problems they're making some decent tools and maybe it's not that bad.

Then I hit these sort of approval times and reality kicks in.

Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Its a bit hit and miss in terms of scheduling... and I think it is likely to do with which type of approval you are waiting on... and for what device.

I submitted a new "app generator" app (all devices) on the 19th and it was approved on the 21st

however I submitted an update to a PlayBook only app on the 4th (3 weeks + 1 day ago) but its still in the "new" status

and I updated meta data for an app on the 24th, and it was approved on the 25th.

So purely on a "my best guess" standing this is how I suspect priorities are laid out.

a.) Metadata updates (description changes, screenshots, etc.) are processed quickly 1-4 days...

b.) new BB10 apps are processed as fast as they reasonably can (but I think apps "ported" in a port-a-thon are given a lower priority)

c.) app updates for a BB10 app are fairly quick 2-7 days

d.) app approval for a PlayBook app/or update (--totally guessing here--- are 2-3+ weeks as they are less of a priority at the moment)

For that last one I'm just guessing what BlackBerry is likely thinking.  They know that the media is putting pressure on then to get more apps and they want there to be lots of choice for new users.  As much as I'd like equal "fast" attention on both platforms... I understand if they favor BB10 at the moment.

e.) BBOS (5,6,7) apps... this one I don't know as it has been a while since I've submitted one... however I'm guessing there are 2 perks to submitting here.  1.) The volume of BBOS apps at this time is likely less than the other 2 OS options... and 2.) The "hunger" for BBOS apps in markets where BB7 phones are selling really well is likely high to check out whatever is being released.

As others have suggested... I'd only start raising an issue if it has been over 3 weeks for an approval... otherwise the interuption likely causes more delays that it actually helps.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lucky0ne
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I agree that the approval process is long. My app takes more than a month just for getting a new release appear on Blackberry World. However, I think, we as developers, should give Blackberry some breathing room. After all, they are just launching a completely new operating system. They approved over 30,000 apps in the last couple of months. Blackberry is also know for being the most secured operating system in the world. You can understand that they don't want to approve something, without testing it thoroughly, that might damage that reputation.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

lucky0ne wrote:

I agree that the approval process is long. My app takes more than a month just for getting a new release appear on Blackberry World. However, I think, we as developers, should give Blackberry some breathing room. After all, they are just launching a completely new operating system. They approved over 30,000 apps in the last couple of months. Blackberry is also know for being the most secured operating system in the world. You can understand that they don't want to approve something, without testing it thoroughly, that might damage that reputation.

I guess you haven't tried dowloading much of it then....

Built 4 BlackBerry really is doing some reputation protection, but  the testing to get onto BlackBerry World either doesn't catch much, or they have other priorities (my guess).

The main thing now is that having under-resourced the approval system for the release of the new platform, BB get a grip on the situation. People were complaining over delays of over 3 weeks to get approved  two weeks ago,  and they still are complaining.

Just taking my own app as an example. Why is a proper Cascades app for BB10 still stuck in a queue for two weeks?  It's not a port from another platform, it's not something cobbled together in five minutes in the app generator, it's a real BlackBerry Cascades app that uses unique BlackBerry 10 features. It's the kind of thing I thought they wanted. Okay, moan over, but it really is frustrating.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lucky0ne
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I am not talking about app quality. I am talking about app security.

Regardless of what platform choice you use to code your app, they still have to test it thoroughly to meet the Blackberry secure standard. What do you think happens to their image if they approve an app that spy on their user or send out private data without the user knowing? Even if you have a simple clean app, they still have to test all the other apps in front of you using the same rigorous process.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

Of course security testing takes place, though that is a known qualtity that can be planned for.

The complaint, if you want to call it that, is that given a limited amount of testing resources, they need to be better focused and prioritized so that BB can get the delay down to something more helpful to developers. And one of the ways you prioritize is to look at what you want to reward through your testing, and the likely quality of what is to be tested. Perhaps there are some lessons to be learned there that might improve things even now.

I started the thread to see what BlackBerry consider to be an excessive delay in getting an through testing in case there was a slip-up when testing my app. Given the state of play, and all I can say is that it's very disapointing to see that the delay doesn't seem to be improving much. I'm just hoping that by the end of week 3, I may actually have at least the possiblity of an income stream from the app I've spent 2 months (off and on) developing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

My stuck app has finally got through the approval process.

Wooo hoo! as they say.

So two weeks and a day for me.

Really though, somehow BlackBerry needs to get the approval process time down. And also learn the lesson that if you plan to run high-profile  app-writing programs like the portathons, then you'd better have the testing resouces lined up before hand.

Luckily for me, these are my first releases. I would hate to have to tell customers that it could be up to 3 weeks plus for me to give them crtical bug fixes. I can see the laywers letters now...  And I did see on this board that that problem is already with us (the time delay at least).

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

The thing that I don't quite get, and concerns me a little bit... the portathons have been mostly over for a while now, yet the delays seem to still be rather long. I get that there are still portathon apps that need re-reviewing, but still, I had hoped by now everything would be normal-ish. I have been working on some apps and they may be ready to submit, but am wondering if there is even a point in doing so until everything gets back to normal -- assuming the review process does get back to normal speeds, that is.

I also would think that some of the developers that participated in the porthatons will stick around, and that just running them attracted new developers to the platform. So they should get more apps developed for their platform than previous to BB10 ... but it doesn't seem like there are enough testers right now to support  the extra workload. Unless the whole problem is there are still tons of portathon apps that never got reviewed and are still waiting in queue.

Please use plain text.