Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: How lucrative are your app sales on App World?

QuiteSimple wrote:

@JaboJG, no offense, but you have two options here:

1) Continue to repeat the mantra "RIM is dying" like all the WallStreet dickheads, stick with Android and jump happily when you reach 1000 downloads in the next year or so

2) Start developing for BlackBerry and make some real money.

RIM may die, but even if RIM dies it would be a slow death, giving enough time for all the vultures around (including the devs) to collect what they can.

I agreed.  Even if RIM dies tomorrow there will still be enough work for a couple of years.  There is money to be made with RIM.  I would never make any money with Android or iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Developer
drdevil44
My Device: storm 2

I'm about to buy a house with the money I earned from apps; HOWEVER, I would add that my app sales have plummeted by 80% over the last few months - so I'm glad I kept my day job. Seems BlackBerry is almost dead.
Please use plain text.
Developer
gyubok
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

wow, people in this thread talk about buying ferraris and houses but all I can afford is a private jet or two.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bec0ding
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800 & PlayBook

Truth is, all the numbers that were shown were expected numbers. Anyone who thought they would show a better Q4 is obviously retarded. Media companies always have to bash on a company and nowadays it's RIM.

RIM is under going major changes right now  and they have a lot of things in the works right now. I believe they have all the necessary "objects" to bounce back.

Their future depends on BB 10 basically.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

:Offtopic: If anyone is a  ex-PalmOS developer here you will understand.  it happened to Palm and now they are dead because HP took too long.  If someone buys RIM we might see the samething.  RIM is in a better position than Palm back then.  Lets cheer on RIM because there is a reason why we are still here.  I wouldn't want to dev for Android or iPhohe or even Windows.

I'm just happy to be employeed and wake up every morning happy because RIM is still around.

Please use plain text.
Developer
eblade
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

I'm making more, with far better user response, on the HP catalog than the PlayBook catalog.  Sales in my first month on PlayBook equalled slightly more than my first day on webOS.  Even after 7 months, and not a single new piece of hardware in that time, I'm still making about double per day at HP than here.

Android version has been available for about the same time, and has 1/10th of the PlayBook numbers.  I just issued an update for the Android version, and I remarked "why am I bothering with maintaining the android version, I haven't even made back enough to cover the time spent installing Android" .. I guess that's why I'm still in the "enthusiast" category. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
JaboJG
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I would've thought that Android was the better place to be releasing apps. At the moment I've got 5 apps on Android and I've ported one of them to Playbook. Maybe I should port them all to Playbook and Blackberry.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My blog about app development, business and University life JGME.tk
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

It seems clear enough that the best way forward is to develop for everything at once, or else prepare to go into another business, since we're never going to get another opportunity like we had 3 years ago -- selling to 50% of the market with only 2500 apps in the store to compete with.  Some of my product ID's are in the 2000's.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

silver20 wrote:

It seems clear enough that the best way forward is to develop for everything at once, or else prepare to go into another business, since we're never going to get another opportunity like we had 3 years ago -- selling to 50% of the market with only 2500 apps in the store to compete with.  Some of my product ID's are in the 2000's.

True.  Now we have to complete with Android c.r.ap.   I have product ID's in the 1000's :Clap:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KVinS
My Device: No
My Carrier: Megafon

[ Edited ]

Hello! I did not know English. I can not use search. Tell me please, how do you know about the sale of applications?

Please use plain text.