Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
mobistar
My Device: Not Specified

How to install WebWorks version instead of Java

We have had version 2.x of our Java app available at the App World.

Now we have created 3.x version of our App in WebWorks for Torch phone.

It is approved and available at the store.

However, when I go on to install it on my Torch phone, App World automatically downloads the older 2.x version to the phone.  Both versions of our app are compatible to the Torch phone and that is specified in the desitribution settings. I would expect the newer version to be installed instead of the older one. But it is not so.

I am thinking, may be change the phone compatibility list of the older 2.x version and take the Torch phone out. May be then the newer version will get installed.

Is there any other workaround to resolve this issue ?  Hoping, the App World team will look into this issue and fix it.

Contributor
mobistar

Re: How to install WebWorks version instead of Java

I guess I am stuck as I don't see a way to change the phone compatibility for a release.

One can specify Min OS for a release but no Max OS.

I want to use version 2.x of our app for all phones prior to Blackberry OS6

And version 3.x of our app for phones with Blackberry OS6

I do not want to remove version 2.x of our app from the store as it is compatible to all devices while the newer version is compatile to very limited set of devices. At the same time I want users to be able to download version 3.x from the store if it is compatible to their device. 

As it stands today, newer version is availbale at the store, but everyone is getting the older version of our app. I am very frustrated and disappointed after going through all the hoopes of moving to a Web Works app.

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Note that it may take from 24 hours to a week for an update to go really live, i.e. some users will still receive 2.0 version for some time. I'd suggest to wait few days and then to try again downloading it.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor
mobistar

The app has been sitting approved for over 3 weeks now. It is not a question of caching or timing.

There are conflicts when two version of the apps are available at the store and both are compatible to a device. App World gets confused on which one to hand down to the device. It should download the newer version of the app to the device instead of the old one.

To prove my point, may be I should take a chance and remove the old Java version for some time.