Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
dashbitla
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: 4086075079

How to make a BlackBerry App to use BIS Internet Plan instead of WAP plan

We are building a BlackBerry App that allows the App users to do Music download and Music Streaming.

Would like to know how to make this App to use BIS(BlackBerry Internet Service) plan on the device instead of using WAP plan.

• tried various options on the device, the App seems to use WAP plan instead of BIS plan
  • if WiFi is enabled its working fine - using WiFi without any issues
  • If BIS is enabled, we are expecting it to use BIS instead of WAP, however its using WAP only

Do we need to do anything in the App to make use of BIS (if its avaiable) instead of WAP? Any registration or approval from BB needed? Is PUSH registration helps? Is Carrier approval is needed(doesn't make sense!?)?

Can anyone point me to the right information on how to address this issue? Am sure this must have been a common issue for most of the Apps that are in the AppWorld.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: How to make a BlackBerry App to use BIS Internet Plan instead of WAP plan

The usual question: what kind of technology do you use to develop your app? BBJava, Cascades, AIR, WebWorks?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dashbitla

The App is developed using BBJava itself.

Is there any API to choose BIS plan or something?
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

I guess you develop for OS5.0 and higher. Take a look at class ConnectionFactory, method setPreferredTransportTypes

In general BB always tries to use WiFi if possible, since it means less charges for the user. If you have further questions about implementation, please ask in the Java Dev forum

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/bd-p/java_dev

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dashbitla

Thanks for the info.

Do you think we need to explicity specify the BIS_B transport type to default the internet connection to BIS? OR will it do automatically? 

Some references here in this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/setPreferredTransportTypes-for-the-LocationP...

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

IMO you need to put BIS before WAP in your TransportTypes array, at least the docs say so

Retrieves the set of preferred transport types used by the factory when attempting to get a connection. Note that the transport types are tried in the natural order of the array.

The topic you mentioned discusses BIS vs MDS (which is the corporate thingy), IMO there is no such issue for WiFi, i.e. if you define BIS first, the app should go over BIS.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dashbitla

Thank you. Will try that and see if we can control on which Transport type to use.

Will keep you posted. Thx for the help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dashbitla

Here is what we have tried - to see if the BIS connection was used but with no luck!

It still doesn't use BIS and its deducting the user's currency.

Any other suggestion on how to fix it?

_factory = new ConnectionFactory();
_factory.setAttemptsLimit(2);
_factory.setPreferredTransportTypes(new int[]

{ TransportInfo.TRANSPORT_TCP_WIFI,
  TransportInfo.TRANSPORT_BIS_B,

TransportInfo.TRANSPORT_WAP,
  TransportInfo.TRANSPORT_WAP2,

TransportInfo.TRANSPORT_MDS,
  TransportInfo.TRANSPORT_TCP_CELLULAR });

Thank you for your suggestions!

Please use plain text.