Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
dasebasto
My Device: Playbook

How to remove a release or remove its upgrade price

Hello,

I have been struggling for the past 2 hours in the Vendor Portal trying to find a solution to this problem (which I haven't so far):

- I have published a release 2.0 of my app (priced at 1.99$), and it has been approved.

However, I just realized following a user complaint that I had accidentally set the upgrade price to 1.99$.

I want users that bought version 1.0 to be able to upgrade for FREE to version 2.0.

Problem: It is impossible in the vendor portal to change the upgrade price of release 2.0.

So I tried uploading a new release, 2.1, and did not set any upgrade price to it. BUT, the minimum version to upgrade for FREE to the 2.1 is 2.0 (and not 1.0 as I'd wish).

So in the end, I have absolutely no solution to provide ANY free update to my paid 1.0 users !

Anyone can propose a workaround or solution to this rather simple problem ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

Re: How to remove a release or remove its upgrade price

you can't.  what you can do edit the current release and remove all the devices attached to the release and ONLY set one device like 8800.  This will no one can upgrade because 8800 isn't supported device.  Now create a new release and this time set the upgrade price for 1.0 to Free and upload the same version of your app but set the release version to like 2.0.1 and wait for RIM to approve it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dasebasto

Thanks for the answer.

However, I cannot do what you propose, because of TWO limitations of the Vendor Portal:

1) I cannot remove the Playbook from the list of supported devides of version 2.0 which is currently for sale.

2) I already have set the upgrade price to FREE for the new 2.1 release, but even then, the "Minimum paid version to upgrade" is automatically set to 2.0 and cannot be modified.

This is what actually prevents my 1.0 users to EVER get a free upgrade.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

That is a tough one to handle. you might want to contact rim appworld support or remove your app from sale and create a new app or just set it free upgrade for the new release.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdpolke
My Device: 9800

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dasebasto

Unfortunately not...

I got no useful response from Vendor Portal support either.

I have asked them to give me a solution or to completely "delete" the release for which an upgrade price was set.

What they did is "Deny" the release. Which did not solve any problem.

Any user who paid for version 1.0 will have to pay for any future release, which is unacceptable for me.

I have to say I am very disappointed by the awful experience as a Playbook developer (especially when compared to Google Play interface), in terms of both web interface and support from RIM.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Magnetic_dud

[ Edited ]

but now that the release is denied, you can publish another version, like 1.1
I did it and it worked

This upgrade policy makes me feel strange, I was also thinking "free updates forever" like on ios/android, instead it quite makes sense.

When you buy Photoshop CS2, you don't have free updates to any major version (= no free CS6 to CS2 buyers)

If you think that the update is not worth the price, just release a minor version

Please use plain text.