Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Impact of today's announcement on sales of PlayBook apps?

For folks with high download volume/sales of PlayBook apps, it will be interesting to hear how today's announcement of no BB10 on PlayBook affects your numbers going forward.   Please comment in this thread what you feel comfortable disclosing, over the next weeks/months.  Will PlayBook downloads/sales fall off a cliff (or had they already been in bad enough decline that there's no cliff to fall off of)? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Impact of today's announcement on sales of PlayBook apps?

They sold only 100K PlayBooks in the quarter. My own sales have been quite flat on PlayBook, likely a combination of the ongoing weak sales and the handful of existing owners who discover my apps. I don't expect to see any significant change overnight... just a long slow trickling off.

Unless they outright stop selling them. That hasn't happened quite yet, has it?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

I think PB was dead a year ago.  I don't even see stores carrying them anymore.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

I admit that my sales have declined, but saying that they plummeted would be too much. But my guess is that in the following weeks the sales (on PB) will drop very hard. When the users find out that the support is discontinued, why should they spend their money on another app? (I know they didn't say "discontinued", but with this new announcement, this break of a big promise, why should we believe them if they say that there will be a few last updates for PB?)

:Censored:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I don't see them in stores either, but clearly there were still some being sold as they reported 100K sold in the Q1 earnings report.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I don't intend to post absolute sales figures, but I don't mind sharing the trend. This chart shows the trend in sales of Files & Folders for Playbook, relative to the top month to date (december 2011).

Note that this chart contains data up to yesterday, and there are still a few days left this month, including next Sunday which has always been a good day for sales. I expect June will end flat: on or marginally below 40%.

trend.png

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.