Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: In app purchase, where to use it.

From normal app world, yes this is possible.  You upload your new version, select an upgrade price (if any; default=free) and the minimum version this would be applied to.  They get notified that a new version is available and if they want it, then they will get charged for it and get the downloadedm newer version.

The scenario I was covering had to do with "in application purchases".  If you do an "in-app" charge, there is not an easy way to then download the upgraded version since the in-app charges from the payment sdk is mainly for purchases additional resources for the existing installed app.

Forgive if I was not clear.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

its clear but now I cannot understand how in app purchase may replace the existing try and buy using dynamic licensing.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
banzai76

sblantipodi wrote:

its clear but now I cannot understand how in app purchase may replace the existing try and buy using dynamic licensing.

You can download an app which has locked content and use the in-app purchase to unlock the content. This meets the definition of upgrading from trial version to free version, and could be used instead of try and buy.

I think jtegen is saying that if you bring out v2.0 of your app a year later with extra functionality and features, and decide to charge for it, you cannot use in-app purchase to charge for this new version. That's not what it's for.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

banzai you are saying completely different things.

I sayed that in app purchase cannot replace try and buy because in the case you want to let your user to upgrade to a new version for free or for a discounted price in the case customer bought previously the old version.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
banzai76

My understanding is that you could use in-app purchase to do something like this:

1. User downloads App v1.0, with locked content. This is the equivalent of a 'trial' version.

2. User makes in-app purchase to unlock the content. They now have the 'full' version without downloading a new app.

3. Developer brings out App v1.1 which features a bug fix. User can upgrade using the normal upgrade process. The user now has App v1.1, still with their unlocked content in.

4. Developer brings out App v2.0, which features new locked content. User can upgrade using the normal upgrade process. The user now has App v2.0, still with their original unlocked content, and some new locked content.

5. Users makes in-app purchase to unlock the new content.

I'm not confident enough to be sure this is correct. That's my best guess.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

and what happen if user delete the software between the 2 and 3 step?

How user can redownload the 1.1 version without needing to pay again?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
banzai76

sblantipodi wrote:

and what happen if user delete the software between the 2 and 3 step?

How user can redownload the 1.1 version without needing to pay again?

There is an API method to check existing purchases. It contacts the blackberry server and returns a list of everything the user has bought for that app.

So the user can delete the app, re-install it, and the developer should make sure the app checks for existing purchases and unlocks the relevant content.

In fact, I think if the user tries to buy the same thing again it would also return an error/message to say they have already bought it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

ok this is good, I will look into this but for the moment I will continue using dynamic licenisng.

Please use plain text.