Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Install Error - There was a problem during installation. Please try again

[ Edited ]

Not sure if this is the right place to for this post but i'll try anyways.

I had my app in the app store (Free) early April and everything working fine, downloaded it to my device.

The last 2 updates i've submitted have both been approved (both signed as well) but when i hit Upgrade i get the error in the subject. Even when i delete the app and try to redownload the newest version still error.

Since the 2 updates i've made to my app i changed the app price to 99 cents. I recently tried changing the price back to free and voila i was able to upgrade to the newest version of my app with no error.

I'm guessing whoever bought my app after it was 99 cents won't have this problem but all the people who got it free won't be able to upgrade? (I have the upgrade price to free in vendor portal)

Also even after having the newest version on my playbook and deleting it. trying to hit Reinstall from app world gives the error again. I'm assuming no matter if it's an upgrade or a original download it's taking the price that's currently on the app world for the app. This is a problem

I'm just wondering if there's a way to fix this? Doesn't really seem to be something the developer can do

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Install Error - There was a problem during installation. Please try again

Changing app from free to paid always causes that kind of issues. Users who got the free app, won't be able to upgrade and won't be able to buy the app once it becomes paid.

The only workaround I'm aware of is to set an upgrade price.

For example your app is free, version 1.0

You submit version 2.0, set upgrade price to lets say $0.99 and once the upgrade is live, change the app to paid (costing $0.99)

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

ah really? well that's good to know i guess, that's pretty **bleep**ty though, something maybe RIM will want to look into? i dunno to me that seems like a pretty big problem.

I guess if putting an upgrade price solves the issue could work, although that defeats the purpose of getting a free app if you have to pay for small upgrades.

Is it even possible to edit the upgrade price once it's released? i can't seem to be able to edit that section in the vendor portal

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, the perfect Frogatto device
My Carrier: none

This is terrible. I have a lot of users on a paid version 1.4 and some free users stuck on 1.0. I don't want to charge the majority of users for the 1.4->1.5 upgrade. If anyone has found a workaround in that situation, please let me know (too).
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

@rob1302, I don't think you can edit the upgrade price

@jlnr, I agree that such situation is really bad. Unfortunately I learned it the hard way (I have two apps that are basically **bleep**ed up :smileysad: ) One of the "free app" user reported, that he was able to buy the app via web browser, so I guess this is the only workaround for buying so far.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry