If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Is Top Paid on BB World includes all platform?

Apps that are in the top paid category on BBWorldd do they include all sales from all the platforms? eg: BBOS+PB+BB10

The reason i asked is some apps just magically appear on the top when the BB10 version was released.  These apps are available on the PB and BBOS before.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Is Top Paid on BB World includes all platform?

I'm pretty sure those lists now include only the ones for the platform in question.

Do you have any examples of apps you think shouldn't be there based on their BB10 sales?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

here are two examples  Clone Camera and Fanc Text

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/18919941

Never heard of it on BB10 before until the other day and if you view the app on the desktop you will see the reviews going back to Jan which obvious isnt available on the BB10 back then.

Just curious...

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

That app Clone Camera has no reviews for BB10, as seen on the Z10, and for that matter was released Apr 24 this year for BB10 (assuming that's the first version).

You're right that it's listed in Top Paid on the device though, which is surely wrong. I think it's yet another bug in BlackBerry World, though whether server or client, I don't know.

Good find...

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Actually, I spoke too soon... while it has no reviews, if it has had enough sales in a short period then it would still show up there. The Top Paid list doesn't appear to be cumulative, but (I think) instead uses some sort of sliding window.

I guess I don't know how it works... this is just what I thought I'd observed during the month or so after I launched Battery Guru (when it was in there quite a bit). Its position varied directly with how well its sales were doing on an almost hour-by-hour basis, and it got into the list very quickly, which you wouldn't expect to see if it were merely cumulative.

I would, however, be very surprised to see an app in there for more than a day without seeing *some* reviews show up for it. They should be getting somewhere between 30 and 100 sales per review, so unless this is a momentary fluke, I'd expect to see reviews flowing in shortly.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

peter.  I was thinking the same but if people buy on the z10 you bound you have some reviews.

I seen quite a few apps that suddenly made it to the top in the past week and they all came from BBOS.

Another example is the ColorID app.  It's been on the top forever and yet they only have 14 reviews.  I know they claim to sell ALOT on the BBOS version.  This could be why it is on top for so long.

I just want to know how top paid apps are calculated.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

Here is something interesting i've found on BB world on the desktop.

if you swithc devices on the top to say BB9315 and then click on the Apps link then click on the Top Paid radio button.  You will be see the same exact apps list on the BB10 device.  Now switch it back to Z10 device and see the Top Paid.  Do they look similar?

So now i'm pretty sure that top paid includes all platforms which is NOT good.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Currently the top list does include all platforms, but this is changing.  In the next server update the top lists will change to be specific to each platform and the region the user is in.  This will go live in roughly 2 months from now.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

Thanks Mark.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

Hope BlackBerry will update BBWorld server soon.  Now most of the Top Paid apps are from BBOS/PlayBook side.  That is just garbage.  How can those be included as BB10 sales.

Please use plain text.