Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is Top Paid on BB World includes all platform?

I was wondering about this for the longest time...Glad to get it clarified, but has there been any update?

I think it's pretty unfair for developers who just joined BlackBerry (like myself) for BB10 and created some great apps but because someone had a old popular app and just clicked on a checkbox that now they're on the top of a list.

Also it's misleading to the general consumer. As a customer, I'd like to see the top apps/games for the Z10/Q10 not the ones that are popular on older devices - which I don't have and maybe they don't work as nicely.

My two cents :smileyhappy:
Waiting patiently for the server update
Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Developer
My Carrier: Fido

jaiaca wrote:
I was wondering about this for the longest time...Glad to get it clarified, but has there been any update?

I think it's pretty unfair for developers who just joined BlackBerry (like myself) for BB10 and created some great apps but because someone had a old popular app and just clicked on a checkbox that now they're on the top of a list.

Also it's misleading to the general consumer. As a customer, I'd like to see the top apps/games for the Z10/Q10 not the ones that are popular on older devices - which I don't have and maybe they don't work as nicely.

My two cents :smileyhappy:
Waiting patiently for the server update

Mark said in the couple of months.  Who knows if this will be resolved.

Yet today again.  Battery Booster magically appeared #2 on the Top Paid section without even a single review.

BlackBerry needs to be on the ball and get this fixed.  Now 9 or 10 apps are from BBOS or PlayBook.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Good update, please make them come soon, however, i dislike the localization update.
jayvdiyk.com
Developer

BlackBerry we need the update to BBWorld ASAP to remove all the junk from other platform for BB10.  Everyday I see junk apps appearing on the top of paid list.  How can such junk exist and don't work correctly appear on BB10 side?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

The other thing I am seeing, is that 2-star apps are in the top-paid app list (high up). How is that possible? Are people downloading apps that have such a low rating? Possible, I guess. Not too many apps are then being downloaded then, if junk apps are being some of the higher earners.
Developer

jtegen wrote:
The other thing I am seeing, is that 2-star apps are in the top-paid app list (high up). How is that possible? Are people downloading apps that have such a low rating? Possible, I guess. Not too many apps are then being downloaded then, if junk apps are being some of the higher earners.

NO. BBWorld includes downloads/sales from Playbook and BBOS. That is why they are on top even though there might be zero sales on BB10.  This is why BlackBerry need to update BBWorld. 

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Ah, that explains a lot. Yes, the top download should be device specific (Q10, Z10, PlayBook, BBOS, etc.)
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The thing that makes it crazy is that although the reviews and ratings are platform-specific, the list itself is not. That means you can get a high position from your BBOS downloads even if your BB10 version is a complete piece of "stuff". And then BB10 users are basically being conned into ignoring the bad rating, and downloading the app anyway.

This can't be fixed soon enough...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Carrier: Rogers

Completely Agree. 

And also it hurts the new developers, such as myself, who only has BB10 apps. If you have a great Z10/Q10 game which is popular but only available on BB10 then you'll be pushed down the list - users will never scroll down to find you and you will never get the audience your game/app deserves.

On a little side note, it seems like BBWorld on the web under the "popular" section works fine because it's already filtered by device - popular meaning total number of downloads, i assume

This really should be high priority for BlackBerry but maybe it's not.

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Developer

As Mark replied before.  He said two months before the server upgrade but then again this may change.

I'm just getting sick of those "Battery Booster" BS apps and apps don't "actual" work correctly on BB10.

Most of those junk apps are automatically ported by BB from the Playbook which does not work on BB10.