Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Is it a bug? Can't reinstall older (free) version of app once changed to paid

My original understanding of how App World would work for users is that once they installed an app, they would always have access to that version of the app for reinstalls at a later time (if they happen to uninstall).

As it stands, I had installed one particular PlayBook app while it was free, used it a bit (and liked it), but did not immediately reinstall after I did a security wipe a while back.  Now I've gone back to try to reinstall it, and it offers to let me download only the latest version and tells me the price has changed (in other words, it's no longer free).

Is this considered a bug?  I had access to the old free version legitimately, but I'm being prevented from using it merely because I had done an uninstall at one point.

Is this a special case involving the switching of a free app to paid and the explicit removal of the old version by the vendor (an action I didn't even know we could do)?

If it's not just because the vendor pulled the old version somehow, shouldn't users always have the ability to install the same version of app that they originally purchased? I know the vendor portal shows them all kicking around indefinitely, so they must be available there, right?

I know this one was free... but I'm assuming the same problem could occur for any of the paid apps I've bought, if I uninstalled them and later tried to reinstall after the vendor had increased the price.

I'd like to understand this so that if I increase my own app's price in future when I update it, indicating that people with older versions would have to pay something in order to upgrade, I'm not screwing any past users who were perfectly happy with the earlier version but who happen to have uninstalled temporarily for some reason.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Is it a bug? Can't reinstall older (free) version of app once changed to paid

My understanding is that it has nothing to do with the version number, and is instead tied to changing the price on an app from free to paid. My understanding is that ''price increases" do not effect anything, just a switch from free to not free.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Is it a bug? Can't reinstall older (free) version of app once changed to paid

Thanks Ebscer. Is that based on past experience with BB phone apps, or do you think it's documented anywhere? Is this a well known situation?

I'd like to figure out whether to report it as a bug or not.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

That is purley based on past experience. I don't think I have seen any documentation on this.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com