Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
jimmy1
My Device: 342234
My Carrier: 33242342

Is it against the rules

[ Edited ]

to alternatively offer your app via your own website through .zip package so people can upload it on their blackberry through the blackberry desktop manager? Is there a handbook of rules RIM developers have to go by? cause I haven't seen them yet, and if it is illegal, then why is it possible to upload apps through the desktop manager?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Is it against the rules

You can sell apps for BlackBerry phones through any channels that you woud like (including your own website).

For BlackBerry 10, and the PlayBook you will be limited to selling only through AppWorld.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jimmy1
My Device: 342234
My Carrier: 33242342

Why is it limited for BlackBerry 10? And how can I sell apps with permission for older phones that aren't BlackBerry 10 but avoid having people who will own a BlackBerry 10 buying it through my website?

If I sell it through my own website will people who will own a 10 not automatically be able to download it too?

I mean once u open the door to letting people distribute an app through alternative channels how are you gonna lock it for new BlackBerrys? If you could elaborate on this and make it clear for me, cause I don't quite understand. Also, could you show me the BB document that I could use to fall back on in case I decide to go this way and I will get knocked on my back by RIM.

It would be foolish to not make the app available for the BlackBerry 10 just because it's not allowed to be distributed to a 10, I don't understand this principle.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

App World on the PlayBook (and BB10) will be the only method to purchase apps. Guess is that the desk manager will be updated to prevent side loads to occur. So that will require you to provide install scripts to side load the app in developer mode. All of which will be a pain for the consumer and will likely reduce sales to you. Consumers will know to only search for apps in App World, so any external website will seem "illegal" to them. If you want to offer apps on PB/BB10, App World is the only game in town. There were discussions that you can license App World, so I guess you could provide your own store, but not certain how the consumer will configure that to occur outside of a BES.
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

jimmy1 wrote:
Why is it limited for BlackBerry 10?

Because RIM have completely lost the initiative and don't know what else to do, so they are now just copying Apple as much as possible, and that's the way Apple does it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

For BlackBerry 10, and the PlayBook you will be limited to selling only through AppWorld.

Another former BlackBerry advantage lost.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Because BlackBerry 10 is a different OS then the other BlackBerry phones. A .cod file designed for the current BlackBerry phones will not work on BlackBerry10.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

Ebscer wrote:

Because BlackBerry 10 is a different OS then the other BlackBerry phones. A .cod file designed for the current BlackBerry phones will not work on BlackBerry10.

Eh?  What does that have to do with why they won't allow a .bar or whatever to be loaded just like people have been able to load anything onto other computers since the dawn of I.T.?  Transfer it on... and it works.

There's just something ominous about not being able to load software onto your own computer.  It's like saying you can't bring a book into your house unless you bought it from the government.

A phone or tablet is just a computer.  You own it.  It should have the same freedom that you have in your house.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

They are trying to prevent pirated software. However, no one ever "owns" software. You have a license to use and most EULA on software covers that. Since App World is the only method to load software, they (RIM) can govern how software is managed.
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

I own my own software. And I've often written custom programs for friends and family.

It's censorship. Only books sanctioned by the Company can be in your house. Violates freedom of publication.

What next? You can only visit sanctioned websites -- to try and prevent viruses?

Please use plain text.