Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
andydragon
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Is there a paid vendor program?

I'm absolutely floored by the time it's taken to get my app reviewed and put in the store.  At least 6 times longer than even the notorious "other" guys who take forever.  I get that it's free but this is getting ridiculous.  Is there a paid vendor program like the other guys so apps don't take 3 months to get reviewed???

If this is the norm, not sure that I will be developing more apps for this platform.  I realize with the release of BB10 you are definitely backed up, but 3 months???  Seriously???

Andrew Forget
BlackBerry Z10
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Is there a paid vendor program?

This is not normal. Until the last few months new apps were approved in two weeks, and updates were approved in less than two days.

BlackBerry needs to staff themselves up to get back to that. The current delays really are becoming a problem. And one that is only set to get worse as the launch of the Q10 approaches...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

andydragon, perhaps you were not aware, but as a sort-of one-time situation, they did a couple of "portathons" before launch which resulted in at least 34,000 additional apps being submitted in the space of just over a week.

So it's not normal. And actually they said they will have reviewed all of those apps by... oh look! Today. (http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/03/march-portathon-update/ )

I think it's reasonable to expect a significant drop in approval times very soon. (Not that you shouldn't stay vocal about it until there's a clear sign of improvement, but you didn't seem to be aware of any of that info.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
andydragon
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

I am well aware of the backlog due to the port-a-thons.  But it's bad planning on their part to not have the manpower to keep the flow of apps moving forward.  

And let's face it, most ported apps are crappy apps anyway.  Apps not hand-crafted and polished for a particular OS are usually awkward and unusable.  Games and simple "junk" apps are the exception of course.  After all, that's the reason Java was such a horrible failure on desktops...who wanted an ugly application which didn't "fit" into the feel of the host OS.  

In the end however, if there was a paid vendor program like the other guys I'd pay the fee just to get to the front of the queue...

Andrew Forget
BlackBerry Z10
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Have you looked at the Alliance program?
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Is the Alliance program even around still?

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Ebscer wrote:

Is the Alliance program even around still?

The bottom of any page under http://developer.blackberry.com shows a link to something called "Alliance programs".

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.