Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: xxxxx

Is there something wrong with purchasing?

I haven't had a single sale in 2 days.  I was averaging 8 sales a day prior.  Anything going on?

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Is there something wrong with purchasing?

Few things may happen to sink your sales:

- you got a bad review(s)

- some competitor released an app that is cheaper or better or both

- your app was featured before but it is not anymore featured

- your app was mentioned on a popular blog, and after initial interest there is no downloads

- your app was at the top of the category, but recently another app(s) climbed there

- it is summer and people tend to go on vacation and don't spend money on apps

I don't know if something of the above written applies to you, but if you are more specific about your app (BBOS, PlayBook or BB10), type of app, state of competitions etc. we may be able to narrow the possible reasons. 

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor

Nothing you listed changed in the last 48 hours.  Well, actually, I am not sure about being "featured" -- I don't know how to check that.

This is my app:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25908878/

Developer

Hm, complete mystery, I don't see anything unusual. Is the current price ($9,99) your usual app price (I mean you didn't change it by mistake)?

How do you check sales numbers - Vendor portal graph, reports?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor

No, the price's been the same since Day 1.

Yes, using the vendor portal to check sales.  In the last 3 days, I had 3 sales.  In the 3 days before that, I had 22 sales....

How do I check on the "featured" status?

Developer

Being featured means that your app is included in the BBWorld carousel. This makes your app visible to the users and of course purchases/downloaded increase (about 200-300%). Usually an app is featured for a week - from Friday to the next Thursday. When featured you will sudden spike in sales for Friday, Saturday and Sunday and then purchase numbers decrease with the time.

Another point to consider is that your app may be featured in different region so you won't notice it on your own device, for example if you live in US, your app could become featured in APAC. In this case (when I see sales spike) I usually check the countries of users (who purchased the app) to find in which region my app was featured.

If you see sales spike for just a day or two, then your app probably was mentioned in a popular blog; in this case I usually google my app name for the last 24 hours to see where it was mentioned (it is useful to read blog comments as feedback).

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

tom_anmoney, you say you were averaging 8 sales a day before that. What was the variation? Do you know how to calculate standard deviations? It's quite possible that three sales in three days falls well within what would be the expected statistical distribution.

(That is, if you have exactly 8 sales every day, with no variation, then obviously there's an actual change, but if some days you have 2 sales, and other days 22 sales, then you may find that the chances of getting two days of no sales is much higher than your intuition would tell you. Most of the time, I find, intuition is wrong when it comes to analyzing statistics...)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Based on my earning since April, when I first released the app, my average sales have been 6-7 day.  Hionestly, that's much better than I expected.

Now I sold 4 in 4 days.  I am no statistician, but seems statistically significant.  There is definetely something going on.

Highlighted
Developer

I suspect that maybe one of your competitors is featured right now. Thus users looking for that kind of app will see/buy the competitor app and not yours. If I'm correct in my assumption your sales will recover next week. If I'm wrong... well, I'm running out of ideas Smiley Sad