Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

JDE4.2 create apps not compatible for devices running os 5. App store solutions.

Hi,

I compiled my software using JDE4.2 for maximum compatibility,

since now all is ok but now it seems that some devices running OS 5 popup a message

that tell the customers that software is not compatible with his phone.

This problem will be solved recompiling the software with JDE5, is there a smarter way to solve this problem

and continue to give the app store customers only one build that works on all blackberry?

Please help.

Developer
RLord321
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

Re: JDE4.2 create apps not compatible for devices running os 5. App store solutions.

Hey sblantipodi,

Long time no talk.  So can you replicate this in the simulators or just the devices?  You said some devices running OS 5?  Do you know which ones?  The reason why I'm asking is because I'm building a one bundle for all devices app for the first time and the base is 4.2.1.  I can easily build one for the newer devices in a higher JDE but I thought I didn't have to. 

Thanks

Developer
sblantipodi

Re: JDE4.2 create apps not compatible for devices running os 5. App store solutions.

hey dear Rlord, I'm glad to read you again :smileyhappy:

I'm not able to answer you because my software works perfectly on emulator and I don't have a OS 5.0 devices actually so I cannot check...

I know that some software won't work on OS 5.0  if build with a previous JDE than 5.0 (like blackberry wallet) and one of my customers told me that he is having problem installing my software (compiled with 4.2) on a storm running os 5.0 ...

Developer
RLord321

Hmmm... Maybe the Storm 5.0 OS doesn't run in compatibility mode?  I wonder if its just the Storms that are experiencing these problems.  I know you can update the BOLD and the Tour too...hopefully you can confirm the models.

Developer
sblantipodi

At the moment I can't access any blackberry, only emulator.

here another email from the customer:

I reset-ed my phone software after deleting Mortgage  calculator. From your website  download  new  Mortgage  software again in to downloads folder.
On my Blackberry desk top  used ad files/program  to download  file to my Blackberry and after wile message appear this software in not compatible with your device. I have Storm with v5.0.0.0328 software vrsion and mydesk top software is 5.0.1.
Developer
br14

[ Edited ]

Have to say that as a Storm user, it is frustrating when apps are not built with 4.7 (or I guess 5.0 now) for the Storm

Apps built using earlier OS's will work, just not very well. At least that's my experience and I've tried several non 4.7 apps (including my own) without success. Basically the touch sensitivity is a disaster - plus the apps tend not to respond to portrait/landscape changes well, and display always with the virtual keyboard - even when I'd prefer not.

I'd suggest always building with 4.7 as well as the other base OS you use.

Edit: I have a fair few OS5.0 customers using 4.7 so I believe 4.7 is fine for the Storm 2.

Developer
sblantipodi

ok, customers installed the apps via OTA and now it works.

it is complaining about the touch...

My software completely uses canvas and support touch, what problem has touch events with JDE4.2?

Developer
RLord321

Is this the first time you are having such problems--only with 5.0?

The JDE 4.2 has no support for touch events so this would never work on even the original 4.7 OS Storm.  Usually, I have a build for the Physical Keyboard devices and then I have a build for the touch devices.  I know some applications run in that compatibility mode and it will take swipes of the screen as directional movements -- you swipe left and it's like you moved the trackball left, you swipe right and it's as if you moved the trackball right, etc.

I would recommend a build pattern like this for you.

Developer
sblantipodi

I'm sorry dear RLord but why you are telling me that 4.2 doesn't support touch events?

I'm overriding the

javax.microedition.lcdui.Canvas.pointerReleased(int x, int y)

javax.microedition.lcdui.Canvas.pointerPressed(int x, int y)

javax.microedition.lcdui.Canvas.pointerDragged(int x, int y)

to listen for touch events.

It compile without problem in JDE4.2 and it works like a charm on the Storm emulator.

So why you tell me that 4.2 doesn't support touch?

Developer
RLord321

I see you did mention you were using the j2me canvas class... Sorry, I overlooked that part.  :smileyhappy:  The RIM API's don't support touch in 4.2...

I haven't used the j2me canvas in a long time so I guess I can't try to help troubleshoot this issue.  I hope you find a resolution make sure you post it because I'm still curious.

Thanks