Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Language Issues

[ Edited ]

When will the Language translation be fixed in the vendor portal when adding a new app?  Whenever you add most languages you get a lot of weird characters included in the description.

This happens with most of the language we translate from English.

Furthermore more, this is a new issue since the recent update.  It started last Thursday.

Thanks.

** EDIT:

FYI:  Just because the browser use always comes up, I thought I would add, it happens with:

- IE 8

- Chrome

- Firefox

- Safari

Sorry I didn't include that in my original post.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Re: Language Issues

Hi Magnum1,

We're looking into this as it is causing a lot of visual problems on the store whenever a Description is modified, or an application is modified (it re-saves the Description with the strange characters/formatting).

It is a Vendor Portal issue, and not related to the browser version (so I won't ask Smiley Happy)

Hope to have an update soon.  

This should now be resolved.  App Descriptions appear to be saving properly now.

New Contributor
My Device: Paybook
My Carrier: ONO - Spain

Hello,

I think the problem remains.

Each time I do:

1) Edit the game description, change something and save

2) Edit agin to see if everything is OK

Bad characters appears in the description

Thanks

Hi toconar,

I wasn't able to reproduce with special character earlier today; however you may be seeing this with characters I did not validate with. 

Can you provide me a sample of what you are pasting into the Description field that when saved returns with the bad characters?

New Contributor

Hi,

This is the description of my game:

-------------------------------------------------------

Reviews
- "Armored Defense II is a great tower defense game, it might even be one of the best, it looks great and has even more features than I've mentioned here such as dropping bombs and laying mines." Mark Dell
- "It's very rare that you’d encounter a tower defense type of game that is as detailed, well designed and developed as Armored Defense II". Arnold Zafra

Armored Defense II  is the first strategic Tower Defense game, a surprise from start to end. Far away of others Tower Defense games in quality, realism and game play.
Your mission is to defend your territory of the hordes of armored vehicles that try to invade it. For that, you have to strategically deploy defense towers on the elevated sectors of the terrain. You can also put minefields in critical paths to slow the enemy's tanks. And also you can build railways. The Anti-tank towers can move on them to reach zones of hard coverage. In emergency case, you can call air support to devastate a particularly contentious area.

- Unique Features:

+ BIG maps (our maps are much bigger than normal maps: 640x1920 pixels = 6 to 8 times a "normal" map) with 3 levels of zoom
 + Railways for towers: anti-tank tower move over them
 + Bombers to devastate land areas
 + Minefields, a special tower type that slow the attackers

- Special equipment of enemy tanks:

+ Stealth,  the capacity of disappear of the towers radars at the hardest time
 + Speed Boost, activated in critical situations generating a speed increase during several seconds.
 + Self-Repair, allows the vehicles repairs its damage in march
 + Anti-missile, protect the tanks from the missiles coming from towers
 + “The Tortoise”, an extra armor, protects the main chassis of the armored vehicles

- 3 difficulty levels and 3 military careers to engage, in 5 different scenarios: thousand of missions and hundreds of hours of fun!

- Over 40 achievements, you can win virtual money (TD$)  unlocking achievements. Invest your TD$ in defense  towers to protect your home.

Tip: play the Training Camp to test your Tower Defense strategy with unlimited towers and tanks.

VERY IMPORTANT - If you have some issues, please email me ,  I will respond all the queries.

Especially interesting for those who like Tower Defense games.
---------------------------------------------

And this is the result in Vendor portal when I edit this:

--------------------------------------------------

Reviews
- "Armored Defense II is a great tower defence game, it might even be one of the best, it looks great and has even more features than I’ve mentioned here such as dropping bombs and laying mines." Mark Dell
- "It’s very rare that you’d encounter a tower defence type of game that is as detailed, well designed and developed as Armored Defense II". Arnold Zafra

Armored Defense II is the first strategic Tower Defence game, a surprise from start to end. Far away of others Tower Defence games in quality, realism and game play.
Your mission is to defend your territory of the hordes of armored vehicles that try to invade it. For that, you have to strategically deploy defense towers on the elevated sectors of the terrain. You can also put minefields in critical paths to slow the enemy’s tanks. And also you can build railways. The Anti-tank towers can move on them to reach zones of hard coverage. In emergency case, you can call air support to devastate a particularly contentious area.

-Unique Features:

•BIG maps (our maps are much bigger than normal maps: 640x1920 pixels = 6 to 8 times a "normal" map) with 3 levels of zoom
•Railways for towers: anti-tank tower move over them
•Bombers to devastate land areas
•Minefields, a special tower type that slow the attackers

-Special equipment of enemy tanks:

•Stealth, the capacity of disappear of the towers radars at the hardest time
•Speed Boost, activated in critical situations generating a speed increase during several seconds.
•Self-Repair, allows the vehicles repairs its damage in march
•Anti-missile, protect the tanks from the missiles coming from towers
•“The Tortoise”, an extra armor, protects the main chassis of the armored vehicles

- 3 difficulty levels and 3 military careers to engage, in 5 different scenarios: thousand of missions and hundreds of hours of fun!

- Over 40 achievements, you can win virtual money (TD$) unlocking achievements. Invest your TD$ in defence towers to protect your home.

Tip: play the Training Camp to test your Tower Defence strategy with unlimited towers and tanks

VERY IMPORTANT - If you have some issues, please email me , I will respond all the queries.

Especially interesting for those who like Tower Defense games.

--------------------------

Thanks

I just pushed through the open Ticket you had for a new Description.  It appears on my end without the bad characters now.

I also copy/pasted your example into a test app and was not met with the same outcome. 

Can you doublecheck?  Want to nail this down Smiley Happy

New Contributor

OK; I can confirm that this works now,

BUT

I try to add a language: Chinese PRC

Short description:

护甲2免费:塔防御

Long Description:

是一个高质量的塔防游戏,会带来特殊的坦克和装备,独特的特点,从开始到完成惊喜,质量,真实性,和游戏设置,远远高于其他同类更好

Keywords:

塔防御,战略,战略,国防,塔

And click SAVE

Then edit again, go to Descriptions and the new language has disappeared!

Thanks

So, it's not actually disappearing; this is how the Portal works with meta-data updates. 

Anytime you add a screenshot, change an icon or description, it generates a Ticket for the Storefront Team to approve (ie. validate it against branding guildines, etc.).  When you click 'Save' and are taken back to the main screen there is wording at the top in red text that indicates the creation of a Ticket. 

Until this Ticket is approved, the new meta-data will not appear. 

In this case, I just pushed through the new Ticket so the Chinese PRC description should be visible now.

New Contributor

Ahh OK

Thank you very much!