Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
AlexanderDSoSo
My Device: Curve 8900

Listing order in app world searches

When someone searches a term, do you know what influences the order apps appear in?

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: Listing order in app world searches

For PlayBook: search results are ordered by Relevance by default, i.e. how many time the search term was found in the app title and description. Other order options are : App Name, Price, Rating

For smartphones: search results are ordered by Best Match by default, which is the same as Relevance described above. Other order options are: Popular, App Name, Price, Rating, Newest.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
New Developer
AlexanderDSoSo

Which is why I get confused when, when ordering by relavance, and searching Golf GPS, an app whos name CONTAINS golf and gps shows up on page 20, long after apps that contain golf, but don't contain gps at all. I would think 5 uses of golf and a use of gps would be rated higher than something with golf 20 times, but gps 0. Sigh, I'll have a look at our description, maybe we can tweak it. Thanks!

Developer
QuiteSimple

Hm, is this a smartphone or PlayBook?

I did a search on Torch 9800, "Golf GPS" search results in apps that have "Golf GPS" in the name.

On PlayBook I didn't find any app named Golf GPS

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
New Developer
AlexanderDSoSo

this is on the app.  Also, I need to go beat someone, as they renamed the app from GolfLogix Golf GPS to just GolfLogix when I wasn't looking, I just noticed that.  But, it does have Golf and GPS in the description, and searching golf gps I can go 15 pages without seeing it, well past things that only contain golf or gps, not both.

Developer
QuiteSimple

It is not documented anywhere how the search works, but as per my tests it searches first the app name and then the description. So whatever keywords you want to include, just include them in the app name.

New Developer
AlexanderDSoSo

I was thinking that as well, thanks much QuiteSimple!