Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
Accepted Solution

Mail from "Office of the Controller - BlackBerry"?

I received a strange email yesterday, and I'm not sure if it is some kind of scam/spam. Here it is:

Subject:   Update to BlackBerry policies: No-PO-No-Pay
At BlackBerry, we are making improvements to our global purchasing processes.

Effective October 1st 2013, all indirect purchase requests with a value greater than
$5,000 USD will require a Purchase Order in order to process payment. Any invoices
received after the effective date without a Purchase Order number will be returned
to you unpaid.

Please send any questions regarding the No-PO-No-Pay policy update to

Regards, .... Senior Director, Strategic Sourcing

(I've removed any contact information, mentioned in the mail)

If it is legit can someone explain it to me in plain English what it does really mean. :Wacko:

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Mail from "Office of the Controller - BlackBerry"?

Do you purchase from BlackBerry and in that amount?

I can't speak to its legitamacy but a PO is normally just a document describing what is being purchased with the quantities alongside company and finance details.  A Company finance department will take this PO and do due diligance on it to see if the money is likely to be paid (i.e. a company credit check).

It looks like BlackBerry are tightening the reins on revenue and bad debt.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

I don't remember buying anything from BlackBerry at all (devs get devices for free, right). The mail was sent to my BBWorld vendor email.

Like two years ago some of my apps were part of a Sprint promo, so this is the only time I've sent invoices to BlackBerry (to get paid for the extra free downloads during the promo campaign). Maybe that's why they have my email.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Likely you are just on the mailing list and so it's nothing to worry about.

However way back in my Commercial Manager days I would never have allowed an email like this to go out to customers it looks too much like an internal Sales memo mixed with an attempt to communicate the change to customers and the title is bordering on being downright insulting.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

Maybe they discovered they have been a victim of "fake invoice scams", so are updating their policies :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

LOL, so that's where the billion dollars went!

Please use plain text.