Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
Gerry_BB
My Device: Playbook 64GB, Curve 9360, BB Z10 LE
My Carrier: Koodo
Accepted Solution

Making app free for some BBID's

Hi,

My app was approved into app world yesterday! I am wondering if it is possible to make the app free for some users? In particular many people provided support to me during the development of the app and I want to let them download it for free.

Thanks,

Gerry

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Making app free for some BBID's

For now the only mechanism to do that is to go into the vendor portal and add their BBID emails as "sandbox" accounts.

There are disadvantages: they will not be notified of updates through the BB World client (unless that's been changed lately), and they will have free access to all your apps (if you have others in the same account).

Perhaps in future RIM's plans for some additional BB World features, like coupons or something, will give you more options.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Gerry_BB

Thanks Peter,

I tried adding my BBID to the sandbox in vendor portal this morning (about 6 hours ago), as I suspected that might be the solution, but it still showing as a paid app in appworld. I tried to load it anyways but it definitely required a payment. I guess I will wait a little longer (maybe a day or two) and see if it just needs some time.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

They will still show as paid, but it should not actually show you the final dialog where you'd confirm you paypal or credit card account and say "Buy now". See if you can get past the first dialog and have it just install. If not, then waiting might help.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
mapleleafs90
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Click purchase, it should show $0.00 on the checkout. In the event it doesn't it shouldn't charge you either way. I've tried many times.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Gerry_BB

Thanks all!

Its confusing, but it did work, and I didn't have to type in any payment information.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Keep in mind, when you add someone to your sandbox, they have free access to all of your apps.
Please use plain text.