Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Meta data approval times

A lot of this can be automated as well. Text searches for things like "Blackberry, "RIM", app names, etc, that can flag an investigation. Like the idea to submit investigations too. However, strong guidelines should be in place (in addition to what is there now). Cant copy app names would be a good addition.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
samyotte
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Hey folks,

I've recently assumed responsibility for the app world testing team.  I've been spending the past few weeks reviewing processes with them and putting together plans that I'm confident will result in a better developer experience.  This won't happen over night, but you can expect incremental improvements to happen.  As we've noted on our blog through various articles like our improvements to code signing we are taking our work on improving the developer experience very seriously.  I consider app world process enhancements a part of that.

Now for the most part, we expect our improvements to not require you to raise issues in the forums, however for instances like this we will have folks on the team monitoring this board to ensure anything we do miss through normal process is being caught.

Satya Putra is one such member and will follow up with you shortly to investigate this particular issue.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
Satya_Putra
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Hi Guys, thank you for your comments, we really appreciate your feedback and we are going to use it to improve our service, could you please send me the pending info change request number via PM so I can investigate it. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
meanman
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

Hello

It's nice to see two people from dev support at RIM responding. This is a step in the right direction. I personally do not have any outstanding requests for now, however for future reference it will be nice for App World to not be so controlling over every little detail.

Examples of where things seriously need to be sped up:

Example 1: I want to discount my app by 50% as a special promotion for a festive holiday. I can reduce the price, but to update the description to reflect this, it has to be done well in advance, because it might take a few days to get approval and if it occurs to early or too late this can confuse customers. Then there is the issue of reverting the description once the offer is over... 

Example 2: Vendor releases an update with a new feature. Vendor submits the update and it gets approved usually in a couple of days but the screenshot reflecting the new change can take a while to get approval. Sometimes the vendor might delete all screenshots and resubmit them in a new order so that certain screenshots get priority (although it seems the order screenshots are added are randomized anyway on device still!). This means the app will be without screenshots for a few days! (seriously impacting sales)

Example 3: User who has downloaded the app and probably not even bothered to use it or contact support writes a 1 star review claiming "it is the worst thing they ever used, and that noone should ever download it!" - even for free apps. We have the option of denying the review in the vendor portal, but the time it takes for the approval has a seriously negative impact on downloads. I use Distimo to monitor downloads for my apps and this can be quite clearly demonstrated when an annoyed user leaves negative feedback (despite the fact that 99% of the other reviewes are 4* or 5*)

I am sure other vendors have come across these scenarios and these are quite common. It's ok to have some delay in approving new apps, to make sure they're tested, however the above issues are petty issues that really shouldn't require much policing! Please speed up the process, this will mean less headaches for everybody involved.

Please use plain text.
samyotte

Thanks for the feedback meanman,
We're working hard to improve the developer experience across the tools/systems/processes we have. With respect to your examples:

1. valid point. I think the action here for us is to explore/improve our response times on metadata changes. This is high on my priority list. We've begun to baseline and are working to measure/track improvements.

2. Interesting. Seems like our approval process is a bit disconnected from meta data of new versions and the binary itself. I'll take this back with the team to explore.

3. I've been involved in a number of conversations on comment management as of late. There has been some good dialogue, but I don't have an answer for how a path forward as of yet that I can share with the community.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

One resolution would be not to approve an app until all other outstanding tickets for that app have been processed or have the same person review and approve all pending items at the same time.
Please use plain text.
samyotte

agreed
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
meanman
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

I also agree with the above. Thanks for replying and engaging with devs. This definitely shows a change in direction for the better.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

We just need a way to chain tickets together as "one big ticket", mutually-dependent so that neither the metas nor the release goes through without the other.  What if we could select 2 or more tickets, then click "Combine"?

There are a couple of things happening with the reviews & support requests:

1. Because App World's button says "Provide Feedback", we constantly get support requests that were actually meant as reviews.  So that's less reviews in the store, and a constant annoyance to us.

2. People also leave support requests as reviews, but we're unable to reply directly or in the store.

In my opinion, this could be fixed by duplicating all 3 possible customer feedbacks in both the menu and in buttons on the product page in the App World app:

[ Rate this App ]

[ Contact Store ]

(for download and billing issues)

[ Contact Developer ]

(for issues with the product itself)

I think that would eliminate the confusion that currently prevails, as well as most of our support emails, because most of the emails are either mis-directed reviews or related to download and billing problems, i.e. "I paid but didn't get the app", or "it's stuck trying to download."  They don't know who they're contacting, they think it's the store.

Of course there's cooperation, if some requests get mis-routed, but right now everything seems to come to us first, and I think it's better for the customers and for us if it gets routed to the right place to begin with.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
samyotte

Useful commentary. In general our plan moving forward will be to incrementally improve where we can by implementing short term process enhancements that don't require code changes and then scope out the required changes to align with customer feedback. And when I refer to customers, our developers are our customers. I'll follow up next week on how we are going to tackle the initially reported issue on this thread.
Please use plain text.