Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Meta data approval times

App updates are getting approved fairly quickly these days, but does it have to take so much longer for the associated meta data to be applied?  That would seem like the easier thing to approve.

Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

Re: Meta data approval times

Funny since both Apple and Google require no approval wait time for meta data such as description and screenshots. It takes longer to get AppWorld screenshot to be approved versus Apple reviewing the whole app. That is saying A LOT....
Developer
silver20

This is really irritating. I know they do listen and implement some suggestions -- for example I said so many times that they should have support requests automatically include information in the email, and that the portal should pop up a dialog before timing out, and after years of begging for that they finally did do it.

So may I just beg once again that when a release gets approved, the reviewer takes a moment to look for pending meta data updates for the same app, and puts those through at the same time. That doesn't seem like a difficult thing to ask for.
Developer
silver20

Is anyone else seeing very long meta data approval times? I updated a description last Saturday, and unless it's lucky enough to be approved in the next few hours, it will have taken 9 days by the time Monday rolls around.
Developer
silver20

It's taking 10 days for simple meta data changes to be approved.

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

My oldest change request ticket is from 30. March

I'd suggest to use the Vendor support form to resolve your issue, it does miracles sometimes

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Regular Contributor
meanman
My Device: Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

I can confirm I released a new version on Tuesday, it got approved on Wednesday but the metadata is still outstanding. The metadata is essential to the new build, new screenshots, new description of improvements, even a new name!

This is bad for business, if RIM are paying attention to devs this is one of those areas they need to sort out. I don't think metadata should be policed so much. For example what if a special holiday comes up during the year and a vendor wants to put a promotional price up to get more sales? (edit: prices are easily updateable, but promotional descriptions may take longer)

The icon and featured image I uploaded got rejected automatically for some reason the first - anybody else get that? Also the first time around the portal didn't save my new gfx/screenshots so I had to upload them again.

Thanks for the heads up QuiteSimple, I have used to the support form to contact them.

Developer
mapleleafs90
My Device: Bold 9780

[ Edited ]

I agree, changes to the product description and screenshots should be instant. I can understand product name changes being reviewed, and perhaps the product descriptions should be reviewed after but a few days is a long time to wait for something as simple as a feature set change or updated pictures. I'm losing a lot of sales because when I delete my old screenshots and added new ones, the old ones are DELETED NOW and the new ones need approval - thats a terrible system.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Everything should just be instant and then placed in a queue for review. If something is wrong, then RIM can place the app on hold until it gets resolved. Each portal account would get points for being a good citizen so the queue is prioritized by those that try to trick or fake the system.
Regular Contributor
meanman
My Device: Torch 9800

Or how about just trusting devs and letting everything through by default and allowing the community of users to report issues? All the developers who have signed up as a vendor have provided some company info and should be considered to act "in good faith". If a dev gets reported for an image or description RIM should investigate first and then take the deal with it properly. Taking an app down can hurt sales drastically, so the investigation part is important.