02-05-2011 04:50 PM
Excellent theory...you might just be right...
I like Tokyo Cat's posts as well - and totally agree...
I think people would be genuinely shocked on the outside if they knew how poorly RIM
has run this program...
I wonder if the shareholders know...
They are definitely killing off new development...we actually cut back on # of apps
to develop and almost done with all the apps before leaving the platform for
02-05-2011 08:36 PM
I just got two more customers complaining they need a key. Even with their transaction number I have no record of the request at all.
This is !@#$ing ridiculous!
If it is Digital River !@#$ing it up. Please fire them and get a new partner.
How can you expect us to run a business like this?
02-06-2011 06:38 PM
only 2? I've been getting a minimum of 10 of these a day for over a year and a half now.
I"ve talked to ryan numerous times about it. he said it was only my app and that it only happens
on verizon. so i ges it's just me and you now. unfortunate.
The development team is aware of the issue and it will be fixed in the next app world update.
01-30-2012 06:23 PM
Bump to an old thread for a problem that probably hasn't been fixed...
Well I decided to go and do some 'statistical analysis of my license data' and I found over 100 users who have been able to purchase the app for different devices with different pins using the same email account (read BlackBerry ID). Surely the BB ID is limited to 5 users only? Just another problem to add to this ever growing list...
01-31-2012 10:24 PM - edited 02-01-2012 01:23 AM
I have a theory that App World is actually outsourced and a product of Digital River. I doubt RIM is actually running it. The whole mess smells like outsourcing gone bad where nobody is clearly responsible or obviously accountable.
Though ignoring the develpoer community clearly lands in RIM's camp...
Not the way I would run a business.
Well it's 100% sure that it is outsourced to India or country in this area because all actions on the panel goes on at night (for us in North America).
It's not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.
08-21-2012 09:16 AM
Just to say, I have this issue as well.
Every time a customer of mine downloads or updates an app through App World it generates a new license key request on my licensing server. My server then sends them an email. This has happened 17 times in the last 8 days.
Anyone got a solution?
08-22-2012 07:34 AM
Do have you logs on your end with the POST data being sent? I'm curious of a few things:
1) What is the transactionID for these recurring POSTs? That is the one parameter that will never change regardless of the user changing devices or BBID email addresses.
2) Are these Handheld or PlayBook PINs that are continually posting to your server?
3) What value are you generating a License Key off of? (ie. Email & PIN? TransactionID & PIN?)
08-22-2012 08:10 AM
1) The transaction ID is: 19675009
2) My customer says that this happens whenever he downloads or updates an app using App World on his PlayBook so I'm guessing they are PlayBook PINs. The customer also has a BlackBerry phone which is what he purchased my my app (WaveRoom) for.
3) I'm generating the license key using the customer's PIN so each license key is unique to a BlackBerry device.
08-24-2012 08:52 PM
08-24-2012 10:16 PM
I think one solution I have on the license server is this (for license generation):
After validating the request, check that a license key for the given application for the device pin / user email exists. If it does just return it. If it doesn't exist, generate a new license key, store it and then return it in the response (provided user has not exceeded max device changes). I based my licenses on user id (email, which is usually BlackBerry ID, users change devices often). I also have a counter for how many times the user has changed their device and the most recent pin. There is also a history database that logs these transcations, which I ignore most of the time.
App World is kind of broken. It has become better, but these things have given many a dev headaches. Best not to waste time wondering if/when it will be fixed, but implement your license server such that it works around these issues.
My license server is written based on experience and a lot of useful information other devs have helped provide on these forums, and it just works.