Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
raffi
My Device: Z10 & Z30
Accepted Solution

Multiple signing keys, one machine

If I am working on an app with a partner, should we share the same signing keys? Or can two keys be associated to one app?

I asked this to @BlackBerryDev before and this was the response I got: "Each developer should have their own keys. App World submissions ideally should use a separate key only for this purpose. ^RS"

But...

1. How can I manage multiple signing keys on my dev environment? If I have my own personal keys but want to use a separate one to sign the app for the submission, how can I do that?

2. If my partner only ever tests code on a simulator (with a debug token) without a signing key, should they even bother getting a key?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Multiple signing keys, one machine

If the other person is just a tester, then I would only have one person be responsible for the final, release keys. Otherwise, both should have the same keys. Be certain to back up your key files.
Developer
raffi

We're both technically developers on the project, but I suppose we could just designate one person to be responsible for the final release.

The confusing bit is that the signing keys seem to require a first and last name in addition to the company name, so for a "shared" set of keys I'd have no idea what to put for the first/last name.
Developer
mzex
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C

[ Edited ]

You can switch keys as needed. Just make a backups of  both keys (Window -> Preferences->BlackBerry->Signing than click Backup key), and you can switch them by restoring wanted key. Also, make two developer certificates, and switch them as needed by clicking on Select certificate button. Keep in mind, when you select wanted key, you need to delete all debug tokens listed form another developer, because sometimes IDE get confused and sign app with info from another developer debug token if it exists.

Developer
raffi

I think that makes sense. The IDE should make it a little clearer/easier to do this though, as just replacing the files in the directory seems like a finicky way of switching things around (considering the IDE would be unaware of the switch until I re-select the certificate).

But nonetheless, that sounds like the answer for now. Thanks!