Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: New BB developer question: how do I secure my app from theft?

[ Edited ]

Sorry for stepping in, but why don't you just skip the securing part? It will cost you a lot of money and time and the result won't be much satisfying. Consider this - people who would pirate your app won't buy it anyway. There are a lot of threads complaining about the dynamic licensing model, you will need to setup an own server to handle the whole registration stuff, not to mention all the support you need to do when something with the RIM servers goes wrong... If you are going to sell an app for 2 USD, it is not worth the hassle.

Just my 2 cents :smileyhappy:

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
New Developer
drspence
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Tmobile

Re: New BB developer question: how do I secure my app from theft?

I use the dynamic model and am very satisfied. But in general, the mobile licensing models are no different than the shareware licensing models (in the PC world) we've used for years and they work extremely well.

This is obviously a grossly misunderstood subject. The dynamic licensing model is extremely secure and, when implemented properly, quite portable. I developed my own dynamic licensing component that easily plugs into any app I build. I re-use it in all my apps and on several catalog distribution systems (before AppWorld even existed) and was able to add support for AppWorld's licensing process within just a few hours. It is true, you will need a web server that is capable of receiving the receipt posts AppWorld sends when a purchase is made, but is that really a lot of work? As a business, I kind of like knowing when a sale is made and receiving those details via web post.

If security is a concern, you really have no choice but to learn how to implement dynamic licensing, or hire/convince someone do it for you. I'm available for hire btw :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to give Kudos where appropriate :smileyhappy:

Get email accident protection with ReplyGuard!
Please use plain text.