Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: New Featured Image

I agree that without any idea how it will be used, it's silly to make it a requirement. I was going to ignore it until I saw examples and such, but then they changed things so you *must* include one when you try to change your app.

What's needed is a description of the context in which it will be used, whether it will ever be scaled down and, if so, by how much, and perhaps most usefully, some screenshots showing an example in the appropriate context.

Without that, we risk making images with features that are too small to survive scaling-down to whatever size they actually use, and we risk things like having it clash severely with the background or surroundings, possibly defeating the whole purpose of it showing off our apps.

I know one dev whose app is portrait-only mode, and he found it effective to shove in three screenshots, side-by-side. I fear it may not scale down well, but we did check it at one-quarter size and it would be okay, if not optimal.

For mine, I simply scaled up my square 480x480 image (from the vector source of course) and threw in the app title on the left, rotated sideways, and a bit of the text from my 50-char description on the right. Gave it some black/white border combo so it at least stands out from whatever background it will be on. I bet it looks like absolute **bleep**, but I wasn't going to invest a lot of time with no idea what I should be doing.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Download AppWorld 3.0 and you can see how it is being used

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
peter9477

AppWorld 3.0 for the PlayBook? How do I get that?

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
dineshaggarwal
My Device: 8520

hello blackberrians,

plz tell me the feature image is necessary for app submission?

Thanks & Regards

Dinesh

Developer
peter9477

It is required, though as you can see there's been little on the context in which it will be used and, thus, what sort of content will be most suitable. I've uploaded "placeholder" images for now.