Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

New price tiers (0.99$ and 1.99$)

This really came out of the blue, but it is true - as of today we can set new price tiers - 0.99$ and 1.99$ for apps.

Do you think that lower price will increase the revenue? Or it will result in massive "price down" push, which will force us to decrease the app prices?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New price tiers (0.99$ and 1.99$)

What a great news from BB! Agree, this may add pollution to appworld, but it also solves my (and many fellow developers) dilemma - how to get revenue from app that I believe does not have a chance to attract a lot of users with price of $3. Remember, there is no easy way to advertise on BB now. And after all - we have to respect the experience of market leader (which is Apple appstore at the moment). So I'm so glad RIM tries to replicate success of Apple. Better later, than never

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: SaskTel

Agreed.  Great news.  My organization has a couple apps that are multi-platform and it was hard to justify charging $2.99 on BlackBerry and only $0.99 on the other devices.  This opens the door for developers to experiment  with pricing and find the sweet spot for their apps.  

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: o2

what is the price for?
New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: o2

what is the price for?
Developer
My Device: Paper cup

The app price.

I really wanted the addition of the $1, $2 tiers, but it actually hurt revenue.  Apps that were selling so many copies at $2.99 last summer are now selling the same number of copies at $0.99.  What a surprise, I was expecting volume to skyrocket.  Some of that is probably also from dilution as the number of apps is ever increasing.