Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
RapsFan
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

No longer have original keys, how can I add a new release?

Hello everyone. A while ago I posted regarding an error message I was getting when I tried to add a new release to an existing app. The error was:

File bundle (MyApp.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle.

My Package IDs are correct and after contacting AW support several times I was told to sign with my original keys. Problem is I no longer have my original keys. Is there no way I can update my app now?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: No longer have original keys, how can I add a new release?

Sad thing is -- no.  The application "signature" is the app id + keys which makes the app unique on the device.  Without the original keys, the app will not have same signature.  It was advised by RIM to backup the key related files (search form for needed data).

You would think that RIM would maintain a copy of what was distributed to a developer so they can re-download them and avoid this mess.  Or have the ability to reissue the keys under some context.

Wish there was better news. 

Developer
RapsFan

This is indeed upsetting as I just did a major update adding functionality requested by users of my app. I promised them an updaate so do you think it would cause any problems if I simply released it for free as a new app, even though the earlier versions were paid?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

You can do that but you will never get paid on new customers. And if you change the price later, I believe current customers do not get charged (double check). So if you give current customers a 1-3 weeks to upgrade, then increase the price, you "might" be OK and only lose some revenue.
Developer
RapsFan

Great that's what I was thinking I'd do, a free period to let people get the update. Not terribly concerned over the revenue.