Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
donturner
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: PLEASE CHANGE THE RATING SYSTEM!!!!

Personally I think the 'deny review' option is a godsend, I have had so many nonsense reviews over the past couple of weeks that it's been good to know I can get rid of these and they wont affect my rating. Here are just some actual examples, (my app is called MusicRoom - www.musicroomapp.com)

"I would like too see what this music room ! Hahaha Anyone can you give me advise or anything ?! Please" - 2 star review

"hi,I don't know how but I want to be your BBM friend." - 3 star review

"Love it" - 0 star rating given

I think the whole review system is actually not too bad, it's down to RIM as to whether they remove reviews and I think they have to be disciplined enough to not remove negative reviews if they are constructive, just because the author has asked them to. 

As for the OPs issue, correct me if I'm wrong but you released some software which had a bug in it, which your users found, then they left negative reviews about it. That doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. Other users do have a right to know if an app has bugs in it, otherwise what's the point of the review system.  

I do agree that the review should show which version is being reviewed (like on iTunes) so that users can make their own minds up as to whether the current version is any good.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Apple has a nice approach. Star ratings persist across versions, but by default only written reviews for the current version appear. There is a simple tab to press to view "All Versions".

This is nice because your established star rating is not impacted, and can not be easily reset (which is fair). Yet, it removes negative reviews for issues in previous versions which you may have fixed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ytpete
My Device: PlayBook

I recently filed a request with BlackBerry asking to allow us to reply to reviews and/or ask a user to update their review for a newer release (for example if the review refers to a bug that's no longer present).

If anyone else would like to see those features in App World, you can vote for the request here:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/APPWORLD-80

- Peter

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

at least here on App world you can deny reviews, on Android Market you can't, I like this way.

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

With all due respect to the original poster, I'm not sure the version based reviews is a great idea - not least since the posters own app would suffer most since the latest version had bugs. Perhaps if the star rating continues to be based on historical reviews this would work.

I'm not sure I like the idea since it caters to developers that screwed up then improved, rather than developers who generally produce good quality apps but make the odd error.

What might be more appropriate is to have the app go into a pre-release stage where the vendor could download and test and then have the ability to control the precise point of release.

Also, the ability to make minor version changes without having to wait days for approval would be nice. Not sure how this might be managed logistically,  but if a vendor has a decent track record why not allow minor version updates (not impacting App World display text etc) to automatically release. The apps could always be audited for legal etc after release.

In the end unless you've thousands of downloads a day a few bugs really aren't that big a deal. Just remove from sale and fix it.

I can appreciate the need for speed when you're being featured, but the real problem there is that as developers we have absolutely no control over when the app is featured. It would be nice to be given a choice of feature dates to allow the developer to take full advantage of upgrades etc.

Please use plain text.
Developer
laurentC
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Denied reviews don't affect overall stars rating ??? Because I was not aware of that, it's a good news for me ! Now I can denied all silly reviews and leave only 5 stars reviews... I can say reviews are pointless if developpers can delete bad reviews !
Please RIM, give customers a "Like" button instead of reviews. It would be better for everyone.

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Actually quantity of ratings/reviews does have some effect. In fact, it can be the primary factor determining your relative position in your category list. It would be unwise for anyone to blindly remove all their less-than-5-star reviews.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.