Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: PlayBook Try&Buy No Longer upload in App World

[ Edited ]
Hi Ryan,

rhearty wrote:

1. This can be alleviated but deeplinking between your two products (unsure why you'd deeplink from Paid to Trial, but the options are there for you to implement how you see fit).  Users running the Trial get a nag upon launch that when clicked deeplinks them right to the Paid version in App World.  No need to search, or go looking for the Paid version of a Product they might really like and want to pay for.

I wasn't referring to links from the apps into App World, but from the paid version to the trial WITHIN App World. If a user finds the paid version, finding the trial is non-trivial.

rhearty wrote:

2. Agreed - no longer do we have Paid apps advertising that a Free Trial is available.  This is something we need to look into as we move forward. An example I'm thinking of on this early Saturday morning is allowing Vendors to use a flag on their Paid versions and link that to a Free version within the Vendor Portal.  This creates a link and changes the visual behavior of the app on the store (adds the "+Free Trial" and a button to acquire it).  Again, just thinking out loud but I fully agree with you here.

This would be very welcome.

rhearty wrote:

3. Correct, in most cases the masses will flock to the Free version so mathmatically you'll acquire more less-than-positive reviews on the Free version.  The other way of looking at it is your Paid version (and it's good reviews) won't be dragged down by users reviewing the Free Trial under the same SKU.  I see a case for both approaches here (ie. Not all bad one way, and all good the other way). 

It's too soon to make any assumptions of course, but the first 3 reviews seem to support my case. The trail version has 2.5 stars, while the paid version has 4.5 stars in almost 300 reviews. Time will tell.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology

[ Edited ]

Recent threads on CrackBerry where users are requesting more try & buy apps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/question-developers-why-dont-you-offer-more-tr...

http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/remote-desktop-playbook-todd-grayson-solverlab...

One suggestion in the first thread is to make the OS enforce timed trials. Don't have seperate try & buy versions, but simply allow the dev to define how many days the trial should last when submitting the app. Then have the OS automatically redirect on launch to the purchase page when the trail expires.

This sounds like an excellent idea. The trial should reset when new versions are uploaded, and reinstalls should not restart a trial. This would be super-easy for devs and for users and should be relatively easy for RIM to implement.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@Innocatology. Love the idea. That would make life so much easier. Probably the reason why there were not a lot of try and buy is because it takes effort to code and deploy it. And then at times one BAR get rejected and the other does not. I bet sales would increase if this was offered.

Suggest putting in a "bug" report and make it public so people can vote on it.
Please use plain text.
Developer
mapleleafs90
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I like this idea. Have the OS handle the try and buy. I would definitely submit my app to have a try option, but I don't want to deal with all the coding myself. To determine when it expires manually and determine if a user has uninstalled and reinstalled, its not worth the effort for me.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology

Vote for this solution in the issue tracker!

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-137

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Error in accessing the issue:

You cannot view this issue because you are not the issue reporter or assignee, a member of the project group, or a member of the issue group and this issue is closed or in triage.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology

Should be public now: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-137

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Excellent. Everyone should vote for this. It really should be a must have.
Please use plain text.
Developer
scrid2000
My Device: Red Z10, 32GB PlayBook, Numerous Android/WP8/FirefoxOS/Other devices
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Wow, only two votes? One of which was mine...
I miss the try and buy license, it was great for donationware as well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Everyone should be voting for this ticket. Especially those that have used it in the past and those that would like to increase sales.
Please use plain text.