Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: PlayBook Try&Buy No Longer upload in App World

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Last week, we rolled out an upgrade to the BlackBerry App World™ Vendor Portal. There were two sizeable changes in the release (v 3.1.4) that we didn’t properly communicate out to developers and we want to address those two changes here.

First, we’ve deprecated the “Try and Buy” license type. “Try and Buy” has been in BlackBerry App World since day one – but was used by very few developers – only 112 to be exact. The introduction of the BlackBerry® Payment Service in 2010 provides an end user flow that has the potential to generate higher conversion rates that the existing “Try and Buy” license type offered. Apps currently using “Try and Buy” can continue to do so, but the options won’t be available for new apps.

Second – and this is the bigger of the two changes – the license type of an app cannot be changed once the app is approved. This affects developers who change the license type of their app from “Paid” to “Free” to offer their apps at zero cost. Switching the license types for this sort of promotion was never intended and can cause reporting issues. We’ve now blocked the ability to change the license type. Instead, the correct way to do this would be to create two SKUs for your app – one with the license type set to “Free” and one set to “Paid”. When you want to offer your app at zero cost, take down the “Paid” version and make the “Free” version available.

If I have a Try & Buy app how do I add updates? What is the expected method for doing this?

Vendors with a try and buy BB OS 7.1 and lower applications will continue to be able to submit new try/buy releases of their title but no new application titles will be allowed to support try/buy. Vendors with PB/BB10 apps will have to create a new title with a different license type

Is there a recommended way to implement a trial period for an application?

Time-based

Create a countdown timer (days) when the app is installed and when the timer runs out trigger Payment SDK and force the User to buy a “license”.  The “license” is a Digital Good the vendor has setup. The countdown timer can be stored on a Vendor’s server for added security to avoid the scenario where a User wipes their device and reinstalls the app.

Freemium

Provide the app with limited functionality and allow for it to be used indefinitely.    Allow the user to “unlock” features by purchasing a “license” via Payment SDK.  The “license” is a Digital Good the vendor has setup.

Can a dev change the payment model from Try & Buy to paid?

If requested App World Vendor Support can make this change for you.

Are BBOS apps subject to these changes or just PBOS? If separate, can devs change the model for the PBOS version while leaving the BBOS version as Try & Buy and keeping both under the same product umbrella?

It affects both BBOS and PB for new titles. The difference is that BBOS can continue to add new releases if its Try/Buy.  But PB you have to create a new title.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
osus
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Well, finally, thanks for clarifying  the situation.

All we now what to do now :smileyhappy:

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Please use plain text.
Developer
barees63
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700

Nice!  Another incomprehensible move by RIM with no warning, no comunication :No:

Please use plain text.
Developer
gyubok
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

wow, this is a real bummer. no warning or nothing.

i wanted to finally make my app (with 4.5 average rating from 1300+ reviews) paid with final update but now they're telling me i need to make another sku (which basically means to build the credibility from scratch)... the least they could do was conduct some kind of survey. if the price flip/flop was causing problem, why not, um,... i don't know.. solve the **bleep** problem.

thank you rim, for this one last screw over, i just pulled the app down from the app world.

Please use plain text.
Developer
gyubok
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

"Switching the license types for this sort of promotion was never intended"

I'm pretty sure lot of devs, beside me, switched the license types for promotional purposes. If you thought it wasn't our intention, give us a method to do so before you take away the only method we know! I'm actually little offended by the quote above as it seems rim only cares about their intentions and neglecting the developers needs.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:

If I have a Try & Buy app how do I add updates? What is the expected method for doing this?

Vendors with PB/BB10 apps will have to create a new title with a different license type 

Putting aside our frustration with this decision for a moment, I feel RIM should be doing a lot more to make this transition smoother for existing PlayBook Try & Buy apps. Your users and your devs deserve better, especially in light of this communication debacle.

In my opinion, having to create an entirely new app is not an acceptable solution, because it does not provide an upgrade path for our existing paid users unless we maintain two seperate versions of the app forever, and because it destroys our reviews, ratings, ranking and links from other sites into App World (which will severely affect our Google page rank too).

I strongly urge and petition RIM to urgently put in place a procedure that allows us to:

1. convert existing PlayBook apps from "Try & Buy" to "Free", thus maintaining our reviews, ratings, rankings, links and allowing us to re-engineer our apps to the in-app purchases model
  2. and convert existing paid users of the app into purchasers of a digital good, thus allowing existing users to continue to upgrade to future versions.

Having to re-engineer our apps without notice is bad enough without these worries.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You can ask app world to back end a change of the type of app from "try and buy" to "paid".

For me (when I get time to do it) will have a "lite" version and the current "paid" version. The lite version will have limited functionality and nag a lot. I dont trust in-app purchases since it seems to return more errors and it seems to take App World months to figure out why something is not working.

It would be nice if RIM could hire a company that can properly do a store front. Bugs after bugs after bugs kills sales.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

HEADS UP: It seems like App World has already stopped functioning for existing Try & Buy PlayBook apps now.

We've had multiple support e-mails from trial users who don't see a "Buy now" button, only a "Delete" button. This is reproducable on OS 2.1 beta. We've also seen a steep drop in sales over the past 4 days. 

edit: one reporter had 2.0.1.358.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Hm, I tried to reproduce the issue - it is working fine for me (OS 2.0.1.358)

I downloaded Files&Folder trial and still can see and click on Purchase button (I haven't purchased it yet). I'm located in EMEA (Europe) if this helps.

Please let me know if you need any further tests.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.