Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
PlayDev
My Device: Playbook

[Playbook] How are app sales?

So...how's sales? My sales have been roughly the same since launch day, nothing has really changed. When an app gets featured, sales go up to around 50-100 per day and once the feature ends, sales go back down to around 2-5 per day.

Anyone else care to comment?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: [Playbook] How are app sales?

Sure would be nice to be featured. I've seen some in there two or three times but no luck for me yet.

Anyway, my sales were stable all summer, then close to doubled (on a daily basis) with the September promotion. They settled down a bit during the tail end of October and November, then jumped again noticeably with the more recent "fire sale" promotion, to about three times my summer levels.

Still wobbling around there, noticeably higher than summer, I suppose as the back-ordered shipments are fulfilled. At the rate things are going (I have 4 more PlayBooks in the queue but no sign of them yet) that will be the situation all month....

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

My game Xploding Boxes (AppWorld) is avaliable for both the PlayBook, and for BlackBerry phones. In early October the PlayBook accounted for 9.55% of purchases. (news.ebscer.com/2011/10/the-importance-of-the-playbook)

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

Ebscer wrote:

My game Xploding Boxes (AppWorld) is avaliable for both the PlayBook, and for BlackBerry phones. In early October the PlayBook accounted for 9.55% of purchases. (news.ebscer.com/2011/10/the-importance-of-the-playbook)

I'm assuming 9.55% of your own app purchases and NOT overall Playbook apps on appworld. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
PlayDev

hmm.. so that still leaves 91% of sales coming from other platforms, right?
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

peter9477 wrote:
Sure would be nice to be featured. I've seen some in there two or three times but no luck for me yet.

Offtopic: It is nowhere to find as an official rule, but apps related to battery (battery monitoring, level, boost etc.) won't be featured. It's kind of unofficial RIM policy I guess.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

smiley wrote

I'm assuming 9.55% of your own app purchases and NOT overall Playbook apps on appworld. 

Correct.

The game is seeing 10% of its downloads on the PlayBook, and 90% of its downloads on BBOS phones

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

Our app sales have skyrocketed over the past few weeks. How much of that is due to a new version of our app, to the PlayBook promotions, the fact that we're featured this week, our own promo and/or fabulous promo by our loyal fans is hard to tell. We've also been consistently in the top-25 paid apps and #1 paid productivity app since August. It's probably a combination of factors.

We released a major update mid-November which happened to coincide with the start of the PlayBook promotions. Sales doubled around that time, and have remained there since. Now our app is featured in App World this week, they have trippled again, but that is probably only temporary.

We've been featured a couple of times before, and usually that doubles or triples sales for four or five days, then slowly falls back to just above previous levels over a week or so. Note that our app has a 3-day trial period, so purchases may be delayed a little, though many users decide to buy within minutes.

We've commited a lot of effort, time & money in developing, promoting and supporting our app, and it seems to have been well spent. We're quite pleased that we can now justify investing more in PlayBook apps!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
PlayDev

Good news! & Congrats! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.