Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

Pooled/Dynamic licensing: any PlayBook apps using it yet?

I'm curious if anyone is using either pooled or dynamic licensing models in their PlayBook app yet, even if you're completely ignoring it in the app itself.

That is, have you configured the license model for your app in the Vendor Portal to be either of those?

If so, please let me know what the app is so I can buy and download it (preferably not an expensive app :smileyhappy: ).  I'm interested in examining the contents of the app folder in the archive (since RIM has kindly made it trivial to do this) to see whether there is anything in there representing the license key data.  (I've checked about 100 apps so far and none have been using these licensing models, but mostly I've only checked free apps.)

If that information is present, it should be possible to retrieve it in the app and use it to "close the loop" on this licensing thing, and to actually start using this mechanism to protect against piracy.  That would also make it largely irrelevant that our apps are completely exposed in the backup archives for now.  (After all, when was the last time you used software on a PC which you could not examine in detail, if you were so inclined?)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Re: Pooled/Dynamic licensing: any PlayBook apps using it yet?

[ Edited ]

I just posted my second app for sale.  As an experiment related to this thread, I selected the pooled licensing model.

When I downloaded my own app it displayed a dialog showing the license key.  That was using the vendor portal sandbox, though clearly it will act the same for regular purchases.

dialog_license_key.jpg

I think the dialog should be rewritten or revised, since it could really scare some people who think it may be their only chance to retrieve the license key.  The text in the dialog is not selectable so you cannot copy/paste from it.  The text of the dialog almost hints that you may not have another chance to grab the key.  It's easy to take a screenshot, of course, but users may not know how to do that, or may not think of it, or may simply forget in the panic of the moment. And clearly, with a key as long as the one I used, nobody would want to record and enter it manually.

Fortunately, once the app is installed, you can find the license key in the My World listing in App World.  At least, I could when I first looked there, before exiting App World.  Now when I look the key is gone.  Bug?  No idea yet.

appworld_license_key.jpg

Although it may not be clear from the above, the underline reflects the fact that you can tap-and-hold to show the editing context menu which lets you "Copy All", "Select", "Select All" and whatever... I didn't screenshot it when I had it visible, and now I can't get at it.  The "License:" stuff above is no longer visible when I view my app's entry.

I'm going to check the Desktop Manager backup archive next to see whether the key is listed anywhere in there in a manner accessible to our apps.

Edit: note that this was all done using OS 1.0.7.2650.  I'm of course unable to compare with 1.0.6 and earlier, but if anyone else has info to share about differences on those versions, please do...

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I can see no sign of the license key showing up in the backup. It's definitely not in the app's own data area, and I also can't see any sign of it in the App World app's data backup.

I also checked the above issue by deleting my app, then "repurchasing" from App World (via the sandbox userid so it doesn't actually cost money) and it downloaded, installed, and showed me the same dialog and license key.

When I look in My World it shows the license key listed there, but once I exit App World and restart it, the license key is no longer shown. Possibly that would work differently if I did a real purchase, but I doubt it.

Anyone think that's expected behaviour? Or should I report it as a bug? I'm really surprised if nobody else has tried any of this yet and found the same things.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, not that anyone else appears to be reading this, but on a hunch I deleted my app again and purchased it for real, after removing my email from the vendor portal sandbox.

This time my license key (which is different from before) shows up each time I run App World.

Minor extra note: merely tapping the license key in the app's entry in My World copies it to the clipboard... very nice.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, so I finally found the license key in the PlayBook.

As mentioned earlier, at first I was using my sandbox account to purchase the app, and although the key appears immediately after the download, it doesn't appear to be stored anywhere.  (It also matched the license key delivered to the first purchaser of the app, according to the vendor portal Purchase report, but that's a story for another time.)

I disabled my sandbox account and tried again.  As mentioned, this time the license key appears each time I run App World, and easily lets me tap on it to copy to the clipboard.

I would not be difficult to have a user do this and paste into a field in my app to activate it, if I were to add such functionality.  It may take a bit of training for them to do it, and I could well imagine the support costs could be quite high since many users probably wouldn't have any idea how to follow the instructions.  RIM: this really should be improved with an API!

Anyway, I did another DM backup and examined the archive.  This time I was able to find the license key in the backup, though it's not in my own app's folder.  I won't go into details here... it benefits no one.

I can't see that there's any way for our apps to retrieve this information programmatically, so for now we appear to be dependent on manual user action, which totally sucks but at least gives us a step in the right direction.  For an app with enough value to warrant the cost of implementing this and supporting/training/handholding users through the technique of copy/pasting the license key, it's at least technically feasible now to use this as a method for improved copy protection.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

I'm following this topic from the very beginning :smileyhappy:
Smartphone apps have similar issues with the copy protection, dynamic licensing seems to be the most secure way.

Btw I'm still running 1.0.6 on my PB so I can test the key thing if you want. Of course if your app is not expensive :smileytongue: Just PM me the app name.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

So the test results:

I purchased the app, there was a window with the key, which I couldn't copy or select. However when I opened BB App World after that the key was under the app name and I was able to select and copy it. After that I upgraded my OS to 1.0.7 the key remain listed in BB App World. 

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Note that I've created https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-429 to request programmatic access to the keys for our apps.  That ticket won't be public right away, but please vote for it once it is.

Please use plain text.
Developer
NICK_312HOLDINGS
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi- I'm slightly confused as to what exactly you're questioning.

Is it the fact the user has to copy/paste the key?
Is it that the user might have to copy/paste it more than once?
Is it about copy protection?

Although it might be simple, and quite possibly not even an answer to what you're looking for, here's what I did with my apps using a pool of keys:

When a user runs the app, we check for a hidden file which we may have written on the device. If it doesn't exist, we check our server database for an entry with the device PIN. If it doesn't exist, then we prompt the user for their key. When they enter their key, we store it on our server database with their PIN and write a hidden file with a hash-like variable, which gets checked using a proprietary algorithm (using the device PIN) the next time the app is run.

Not only does this prevent piracy, it also eliminates the need for the user to have to re-enter their key in the event they wipe their device.

Hope this helps!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Hi NICK_312HOLDINGS,

I'm questioning many things, but at the time was merely trying to see whether anyone else had explored any of this since there were so many problems with it, all noted above.  The initial dialog vaguely hints that the user may need to do something, but doesn't say what.  Even if they knew they should use copy/paste it won't let them actually copy the key except by writing it down or doing a screenshot (which most won't know how to do). It says nothing about how to actually copy/paste it, if required, and many users would take a while to figure it all out, if they ever could without assistance.

It's a question about usability, overall, since what's there is terribly unusable. I'm certain at least half of PlayBook owners (and probably far more) would have no idea what that dialog is telling them, and they shouldn't have to worry about it.

The anti-piracy aspects are not directly related... there are numerous ways to deal with that, as you've done.  I note that your approach would prevent someone from installing the app on two PlayBooks using the same BBID, since you've keyed it to their PIN.  What do you do if a customer has one PlayBook fail and replaces it with another, when they reinstall your app?

What if (I realize it's a stretch that this would happen) a PlayBook is sold to someone else, after being wiped, and the new owner decides to install your app?  Wouldn't it end up retrieving the previous owner's key from your server?  Or is that not a problem, because you're using this mechanism only to disable the app if it's ever side-loaded?

Please use plain text.