Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Port o Thon: Paypal Takes Fee for Cash Reward

I didn't notice until today that paypal takes a cut when MileStone marketing deposits money into my paypal account.

Why the hell did they take a fee and for what? If BB sent money as a service why not send it as a gift?

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Port o Thon: Paypal Takes Fee for Cash Reward

Paypal is a service provider and charges for the transfer of money from one person to another :-)

When you pay using your card, VISA takes a cut from your payment before handing it over to the merchant too..

Please use plain text.
Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier

Wow, thats new! The DRI (BB World sales) fees deposited into our PayPal accounts do not include any deposit fees. That would be really sad to pay another fee on the earnings deposited since PayPal already charges huge cut when depositing the funds to "regular" bank account or doing ATM withdrawals. Really the only option to save on the fees is to spend earned money using PayPal or PayPal MasterCard but this is not always possible in a business world. I cant wait for the day BB decides to ditch PayPal and give us option to receive reqular cheque or direct wire transfer instead.

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

d3v3l0p3r wrote:

Wow, thats new! The DRI (BB World sales) fees deposited into our PayPal accounts do not include any deposit fees. That would be really sad to pay another fee on the earnings deposited since PayPal already charges huge cut when depositing the funds to "regular" bank account or doing ATM withdrawals. Really the only option to save on the fees is to spend earned money using PayPal or PayPal MasterCard but this is not always possible in a business world. I cant wait for the day BB decides to ditch PayPal and give us option to receive reqular cheque or direct wire transfer instead.

I believe, that was because RIM and PayPal had a special agreement that PayPal would not deduct fees in vendor payments. This gave paypal two positives -

1. RIM made PayPal as the default payment method - I think at that time neither Apple Nor Google allowed Paypal.

2. Since most of the transactions are cross border - customers were charged in USD but they pay in their default  currency and vendors are paid in USD but withdraw in their default currency. Thus paypal got their huge currency conversion fees at both ends.

Please use plain text.
Developer
PawelGorny
My Device: RED
My Carrier: base(kpn)/BE, t-mobile/PL

For me there was a fee for AllAboard, but no fee for Community.

--
Regards,
Pawel Gorny
my apps: http://pawelgorny.com/
PGpgp, Your Reply, Anagrammatist, Texas Hold'em Odds Calculator, Contacts to CSV
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution"
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Adwiv,

You put 'had a special agreement' in your post, does this mean this is no longer the case?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I have the same problem (no fees were deducted in one payment, but in another payment there were fees deducted), so I mailed BlackBerry for this issue. After a couple of days, they replied me that they would have a look at it. Since that last mail, I haven't heard from BlackBerry.

If anybody would hear something, or if fees were paid back or something, please let me/us know.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

OK. Today I received the 2nd payment from Milestones.  I'm assuming and hoping this is for the 2nd Jan 11 port o thon.

This time there was no fees.  Maybe Milestones did it correctly this time.  If BB have giving away $500k for the port o thon i can't imagine the paypal fees taken away from us   We should get those back from paypal.  On $2k award i think they screwed us around $60.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

They replied on a second mail I've sent yesterday. They said it was indeed a mistake with PayPal, and they will be sending refunds back somewhere next week. But they were waiting for proof from some developers. So if you are missing money because of the fees, maybe you should contact BlackBerry (so they know they have to refund you too).

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

d3v3l0p3r wrote:

I cant wait for the day BB decides to ditch PayPal and give us option to receive reqular cheque or direct wire transfer instead.

You can now request direct wire transfer from both Bango and BlackBerry Commerce. Bango charges 1.8% fees for wire transfer (their way of making 'extra' money). BlackBerry Commerce does not charge any fees.

DRI does not give wire transfers in general, but is already being phased away by Appworld.

Please use plain text.