Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Problem with review process -- denials over scaling/size/differing reviewer comments

I just noticed I received several denials of my apps (from 2nd and newest portathons) and would like a little clarification from RIM if possible. At this point I think this process is basically designed to drive me insane...

My first batch had a bunch of denials due to the screen scaling too small. Fine, so I make things larger... and resubmit.

Now the images are too large for landscape as they require scrolling, so the reviewer denies and states to lock the screen in portrait and resubmit. That is the only change mentioned. And this is for 12+ apps.

I make this change for all of my apps, test them in ripple, the simulator and dev alpha. They are locked and look normal to me.

Now I am getting a ton of denials due to a reviewer saying the fonts are too small, and there is white space on the bottom of the screen. What?

There is white space on the bottom of the screen because the app simply doesn't have text that would take up that space. And the only reason there is white space is because the previous reviewer told me to lock it in portrait. If left in landscape, there would have been no white space.

And I have no idea why the fonts are considered too small, when a ton of my previous apps were all approved with even smaller fonts than the ones being denied now. And the previous reviewer did not say a thing about fixing fonts this time -- just to lock the device in portrait.

Is is possible to have some consistency between reviewers and what they expect? if one wants something, maybe that same reviewer should re-review the submissions or something? At this point I have no idea what to submit, and am getting extremely frustrated with this whole process. Some apps that look exactly the same as others (scaling wise) are approved fine, others get denied (3 times)... some reviewers ask for one thing, then the 2nd reviewer denies it based on the changes the first reviewer requested... it's crazy.

Please use plain text.
Developer
nzcoderguy
My Device: n/a

agreed

I can completely agree with your statements.. all 22 app submissions rejected for the "font is too small, too much white space" remarks.

I had a simple designed app with same font size, and design and was approved - thats why I used it again.. but this time is wrong.. 

Inconsistancy is right..

+Like this post, if you find it useful/helpful!
Please use plain text.
Retired
samyotte
My Device: Torch

Re: Problem with review process -- denials over scaling/size/differing reviewer comments

Hi poornamelessme,

To help us investigate, please include some Appids.

thx

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Re: Problem with review process -- denials over scaling/size/differing reviewer comments

I have been in contact with amaris, due to the fact that many of my denied apps were for all aboard. So I am hoping that she can help me figure out what to do.

If not, I'll list some app ids here. I basically am unsure which reviewer's instructions I should follow on resubmissions.

One reviewer tells me to lock in portrait (and nothing else)... but the act of locking in portrait adds additional white space to the bottom of the screen. The next reviewer tells me to utilize the full screen (which would have been accomplished by locking in landscape, not portrait). I have the fear that if I follow one reviewer's advice, the next one will deny based on the changes I was told to made.

I also have oddities like where one app gets denied for font size/utilization of the screen, and then like 5 min. later I get an approval on an app that looks exactly the same scaling/font/size-wise. I mean literally the same sizing.

There is definintely a consistency issue with the review process, at least as far as scaling/sizing goes. It is almost arbitrary.

Please use plain text.
Developer
nzcoderguy

Its the same here. First 2 all aboard apps approved then last 2 rejected based on styles/sizing that passed in the approved ones. What gives?!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Seems to be a lot of sizing issues with apps. What weree these apps developed in (WebWorks/Cascades/etc)?
Please use plain text.
Developer
nzcoderguy

web works.. its very inconsistant with reviewers.. sometimes you get a good reviewer, othertimes ones that are really picky

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

[ Edited ]

For WebWorks I'd suggest using bbui.js (it's on Github), all UI elements look nice and you have no issues with the screen layout at all. You can find a lot of examples on Github too.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Retired
samyotte
My Device: Torch

Hi,

I've taken a look at your apps and have gone back tot he testers to address this concern and expect that to be resolved in the next 24 hours.

From a usability perspective I wanted to provide you some feedback to consider for future releases.

The automatic zooming to a text field for data entry does make it a bit difficult to navigate the app.

Please use plain text.
Developer
nzcoderguy

I had all 22 app submissions from the Community Port-a-thon rejected for those sizing issues that were approved in previous app submissions. I thought it would be fine, since it was accepted.

I had to resubmit all 22 apps, using the BBUI styles - which has caused more delay now in approval. Hope they will be processed soon before the "Last Chance" port-a-thon this weekend

Please use plain text.