Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

Re: Question about upcoming porthatons

You must definitely submit for a review, too. A friend of mine didn't do that on a previous portathon :smileysad:

I guess, you are asking if it is enough to submit for preview so you could upload BARs before the event?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

That is my point. Upload .bar before the start (at least that brings more chances to qualify for Dev Alpha) and click "Submit for review" when porthaton starts.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

I am curious if we simply can create the drafts first, and then upload the app file during the portathons. It would logically seem okay, as RIM said they don't even register the draft until the file has been uploaded.

As for the review part, not sure. I'd think that may be bending the rules a little bit. Clarification by RIM would be helpful.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
lougazzola
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

We had much debate and for the upcomming Port-A-Thon we've made the following decision and will be communicated to all that register for the event.

To be eligible for the Port-A-Thon an app must be created & submitted during the Port-A-Thon hours and submitted for BlackBerry 10 All Touch Device.

For apps that have not been submitted for BlackBerry 10 but already exist for the BlackBerry PlayBook a new release must be created & submitted during the Port-A-Thon hours.

Apps cannot be created prior to the event and then uploaded in draft mode and then have the submit button pressed.

We felt this was the most fair way for all developers to participate in the event. We understand that it's not perfect, and there is a draw for devices/trips to help those that have submitted apps during the event.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Thanks for the clarification.

Just curious though, does this mean that all apps need to be signed during the event hours, or do you mean apps just need to be created (draft + uploading)?

It's not a biggie either way, but I expect most people will compile and test apps before portathon hours, then submit during the actual event. I am just wondering if we should wait until the portathon times to actually do the final app signing, or if it's okay if we do that beforehand (like this upcoming week)?

It's mostly for organization purposes, as it's easier to have a folder of final signed apps ready to go, rather than sign them all during the event. Not a big deal either way really ... but it'd be a shame to get denied if people sign apps too early.

lougazzola

I encourage everyone to get their apps signed and ready prior. At the very least order and install your signing keys.
Developer
nemoryoliver
My Device: BB10 Simulator

@Lou you guys made the right decision. good job.

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

lougazzola wrote:

For apps that have not been submitted for BlackBerry 10 but already exist for the BlackBerry PlayBook a new release must be created & submitted during the Port-A-Thon hours.

Just to be sure - this is valid also for apps, which exist for BBOS only, right? I mean I have Java apps for BBOS (no PlayBook version), and I want to create BB10 versions. So I will need to submit only new release to an existing product?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
lougazzola

[ Edited ]

QuiteSimple wrote:

lougazzola wrote:

Just to be sure - this is valid also for apps, which exist for BBOS only, right? I mean I have Java apps for BBOS (no PlayBook version), and I want to create BB10 versions. So I will need to submit only new release to an existing product?

THat is correct and we encourage and welcome developers that want to bring their BBOS apps to BlackBerry 10 -- these are eligible for the Port-A-Thon as long as they have not been previously submitted for BlackBerry 10.

Developer
nemoryoliver
My Device: BB10 Simulator

@Lou it's already clear that we cannot upload bar files before the event right?

How about if we already did that? we have no way to delete the bars and products. How to? or what's the best thing to do to still qualify? just upload a newer .bar file release during the event? Thanks