Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
lougazzola
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Question about upcoming porthatons

nemoryoliver wrote:

I am sorry to ask again Lou, It is just not clear in my mind. I am not good in english too.

But uploading bar files before the event are not allowed - is already clear for me

How about pre adding a product and adding icons before the event? I am really sorry to ask again. because you just didn't specifically said about the icons only the submition things. Sorry.

Creating the submssion in BlackBerry App World  neeed to happen during the Portathon. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
nemoryoliver
My Device: BB10 Simulator
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

It is now so clear. Thanks so much Lou. I have more apps to come for BB10. I really want to support the platform.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SpoonNZ
My Device: None
My Carrier: Telecom NZ

This is pretty annoying! I’ve created 13 apps already in AppWorld, and now can’t delete them to resubmit. Any way I can get them deleted so my AppWorld portal isn’t a mess?

This whole process is becoming a bit silly really. In the last app-a-thon I submitted 10 apps inside 44 minutes. This was pretty much as fast as I can go from a single computer over in New Zealand. I didn’t qualify for the trip to JAM. Can you confirm if the 10 who did had uploaded the apps before? Pretty annoying if I put in a bunch of hard work to this (and get up at 6am after staying up until 2am finishing things!) and then miss out on this opportunity as some others have found a loophole.

I think the problem is there are still a heap of loopholes. I could:

• Upload all my apps with incomplete descriptions, incorrect (small!) screenshots, etc. and come along and fix them later
  • Get multiple web browsers/computers set up (even get a couple of friends to help me out) so we can submit several at a time
  • Write extensions for Chrome that automate some parts of the submission process (like the rating selector – those radio buttons are so slow to fill out. On a side note, you need <label> tags!)
  • Various other things

Except this is stupid. It’s becoming a competition for who can upload apps the fastest – which is crazy. The whole idea is to reward developers for hard work. I’ve made over 30 apps now – some are simple, but there’s some really cool ones in there! It’s pretty annoying if I miss out on the reward because someone else is more determined than me, or has a faster Internet connection.

How about making this a level playing field and rewarding developers that work hard fairly, rather than giving the rewards to the people who figure out the most loopholes/hacks in the system. This might work:

• Figure out a reasonable timeframe to upload an app to AppWorld. Perhaps 10 minutes?
  • Multiply this by a number of apps. I suggest 20.
  • This gives us 200 minutes. Let’s call it 240, or four hours.
  • Take every developer who uploads 10 or more apps in the first four hours of the event, and put their names into a random draw for the first 10 trips to JAM
  • Take everyone else and put them into the draw for the other 10 trips (along with the ones who submit in the subsequent 32 hours)

This is much fairer. It’s no longer a competition of who can submit apps the fastest. It no longer matters if the app/screenshots/release are uploaded before the event or not. It no longer matters if people call in friends to help them upload apps really quickly. There’s no longer any incentive to waste time writing extensions for Chrome to accelerate the app upload process (and instead we can put the effort into creating good apps). Instead, all of the developers who have spent a couple of weeks staying up until 2am making apps, who have gotten up at 6am to submit releases, and have really believed in Blackberry 10 will get a fair chance at recognition for their hard work.

What do you think? Am I going to have to invest my time in stupid hacks and tweaks to make the upload speed faster, or can I work on creating more and better apps for Blackberry 10, and have a fair shot at being rewarded for my hard work?

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

I have to admit, the drawing makes much more sense to me than going by speed of submitted apps.

Not that I'd be quick enough regardless. I am still struggling with the conflicting review process from the previous portathon... where one reviewer tells me to change something, then the second reviewer says to change something else due to the changes the first reviewer told me to make. Yet some of my other apps that had the same issue as the denied ones, were accepted fine by a different reviewer. By the time I get finished fixing these, I probably won't have many made for the new portathon anyway.

My goal is just to get my submitted apps accepted, not the trip stuff. Worrying about the speed of submissions would just be another headache.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

You, guys, need to sit back, calm down and rethink the whole thing once again.

First, you get apps ready for BB10 launch - less competitive app store, apps hungry users etc. As a long time vendor I can tell you: by the next year you will earn enough cash to pay BB Jam Trim on your own (as I did last year and will do this year)

Second, you get paid for every uploaded app, even for the simplest one. When I started 3 years back I had to paid for uploading apps (fortunately it is history). Still AppWorld was/is the most profitable app store for me.

Third, you get the Dev Alpha. It will speed your dev process (simulator is not that good, believe me), and after BB10 launch you will get limited edition real BB device. Limited edition! Only 5000 people from 80 millions BB users will have this device.

Fourth, there is $10K program, once you get your apps approved you can qualify for that too

And so on, and so on...

Now about the trip - there is still the lucky draw. Yes, some people will find a way to get the fastest-clicker-gets-it-all reward, but being developer means being creative. You can't stop people being clever and bending the rules. Even if it was a lucky draw for all (like your idea) - what if I have 20 apps and create a second vendor account, so I submit 10 apps per each vendor account, I will have two entries in the lucky draw and you will have only one. Unfair again, right?

And just to answer your question about already uploaded apps in draft mode - you can't delete them, but you can rename them to something like z_MyApp so they go to the end of the app list

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

I agree that it's not really a big deal. But just felt like commenting that the idea of a draw did sound more fair than doing it by time of submission. I may be biased, as I am too slow with uploading for it to matter really... and am not even trying for the trip. And yeah, I forgot they were doing a draw too, for those not quick enough with submissions.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mjeselyn
My Device: 1
My Carrier: 1

I strongly agree with the idea of a draw for first ten trip for who submit more 10 apps in x hours. I've forgotten for a trip when viewing my friend submit more 10 apps previous portathon in 25 minutes but still not qualify for a trip.

so, I am curious time submission who won first 10 trip.

Please use plain text.
Developer
nemoryoliver
My Device: BB10 Simulator
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Now the upcoming port a thon is SO MUCH FAIR NOW!!! This will be really great. Thanks so much.

Please use plain text.