Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C

Question on bundling apps together

[ Edited ]

This is probably a dumb question, but can we bundle more than one bar file together and offer it as a single app?

I am in the process of bundling a bunch of my smaller apps into a single app. The logical way to approach it is to use menus, which works fine. But the issue I have is that half of the apps require portrait, the other half landscape.

I am not sure how at this point to use javascript to lock orientation, so barring that, could I simply upload two bar files  and offer it as a single app? They'd work as two separate apps, but their content would be similar enough to make sense as a bundle.

The other option, which I am not aware of how to do or if it's even possible, is create three bar files, two of them hidden, and use one single menu app to load each ... and bundle all three as a single app.

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Question on bundling apps together

I don't believe this is possible what platform are you building for?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
poornamelessme

[ Edited ]

Webworks.

I may have a solution, as someone over in the Webworks section provided a code snippet on how to lock orientation using code. Hopefully I can now have a single menu, and change/lock orientation based on what choice the user picks. I'll test that out later.

But I am still curious if it's possible to bundles bars together. I'm not sure why it couldn't exist, if each part of the bundle was of course related to one another. But I am clueless if it is actually possible.

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

I don't belive it's possible as each bar file has to be signed and as far as i know its not possible to sign a bar file within another.

Have you considered the possibility of turning them into libraries?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
poornamelessme

Well, I guess I was asking if we can treat them like two different apps, each signed on their own, and simply when uploading, upload both signed bar files as part of a single app.

Such as, one app: My Generic Cookbook ... and then upload 2-4 different signed bar files each with their own set of recipes. I can understand the reason for not allowing this, as it may then get somewhat crowded with icons for a single app. But just wondering if it was allowed. But now that you mention the signing stuff, I don't think that would work.

As for libraries, how would that work, and also get around the orientation issue I was talking about?