Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Re: RIM? I will be glad to see you go bankrupt.

The pattern of systematic sniping of apps by competitors continues.

Early every morning, as soon as the previous day's 4-star take-the-app-down review is removed, the vendor that's doing this just posts another 4-star review with the same or similar caption as the previous ones.

Developer
mapleleafs90
My Device: Bold 9780

I think the popularity filter needs to come back and be used by default over the others. It's the one that is hardest to abuse.

As it stands the sorting options are a joke in BlackBerry World.
Developer
silver20

Either that or make the Deny button effective immediately, and also have all reviews trace back to a hardware device and a confirmed email address, not a simulator and a 'bot-generated ID with a bogus email address.

Developer
mapleleafs90
My Device: Bold 9780

[ Edited ]

Agreed, but I think they should not allow 3 or 4 star reviews to be denied every time. Either make it effective immediately or what I just said. If they deny process needs approval, they should actually figure out if there is any reason for it to be denied in the first place.

I am not familiar with other app stores and how that process works, but I doubt its anything like BlackBerry world where the developer is in control of where their app ranks in the sorting lists.

Developer
silver20

[ Edited ]

Yeah the problem is that other developers are also in control.  It seems that if they keep posting a 4-star review to your app and you keep denying those to get back to 5-star, it will have an effect in where your app ranks among the other 5-star apps.  Apparently it's using the total average (including the denied reviews) to compute rank within 5-star.  That means someone can do permanent damage to you unless you start loading your app up with phony 5-star reviews.

It's really time to stop depending on the app stores for advertising, that's just not practical anymore unless you're one of the few who has some kind of system figured out to keep your apps in the top 25 most of the time.

Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

silver20 wrote:

It's really time to stop depending on the app stores for advertising, that's just not practical anymore unless you're one of the few who has some kind of system figured out to keep your apps in the top 25 most of the time.

Earlier when there were just a handful of developers (i guess the count was close to 1000 with hardly 10-20 really active developers) , your apps would get featured more often and you had 2-5% of the marketshare.

Now, you one of the 50000 developers so your chances of getting featured are 50 times lesser. Also, the size of PIE has almost remained the same or maybe just doubled. Whereas the number of developers have decreased more than 50 times. So your share pie would become 50 times smaller.

Of course you can't depend on app stores for advertising.  There are thousands for others who are depending on them too. And app stores can't help all of them.

This is nothing to crib about. Go read "Who moved my cheese" once again.

Developer
adwiv

mapleleafs90 wrote:

Agreed, but I think they should not allow 3 or 4 star reviews to be denied every time. Either make it effective immediately or what I just said. If they deny process needs approval, they should actually figure out if there is any reason for it to be denied in the first place.

I am not familiar with other app stores and how that process works, but I doubt its anything like BlackBerry world where the developer is in control of where their app ranks in the sorting lists.

I personally have always been against developers denying reviews. No other app store or online commerce site of repute (eg ebay, elance etc) allow people to deny or change the reviews once given.

The only reason that devs give for this is that they lose sales. But in my opinion, that is a very myopic view. If you can't deny review you take extra care not to get it in the first place. You do much better testing and ensure that you only select the correct devices. From what I see, the quality of apps has gone down a lot because devs can deny bad reviews.

Everyone gets bad reviews from irate customers, and If noone is allowed to deny a review, everyone will have some bad reviews. So the customer expectations would set in that they would start ignoring an occasional bad review.

Developer
silver20

adwiv I'd agree w/ you about the reviews if not for the fact that competing developers are behind far more of the positive reviews (for their own apps) and negative or non-5 reviews (for competing apps) than actual customers.

Anyone who's been around long enough and had a few things in the top 25 now and then probably knows this from personal experience.  For example it's still happening like clockwork to one of my apps, every morning right after the previous day's review gets denied.  I just can't believe that's coincidence.  Since today's Friday it's also going to get sniped around dinner time to ensure that it remains safely off the top-25 list for the entire weekend.

That's the problem.  Otherwise I'd say yeah, let the reviews be.

Developer
adwiv

Increasing your price to $699 may help fix this competitor :-) IIRC in january, most of the apps that were top rated were inexhorbitantly priced so maybe this would not be a bad idea I guess.

Howver, excess focus on top rated is not correct. On the device, categories are still sorted by popularity. Only the website has changed, and I believe people do not use web based version much for downloading / buying apps.

Developer
silver20

[ Edited ]

If only I had an app worth that much!

seems to about double (or halve) sales in this case, however it works.