Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

RIM? I will be glad to see you go bankrupt.

THANK YOU, RIM

yet again, you have (without warning) completely changed the store search & browsing system, destroying the revenue stream of countless developers.

I was wondering why 75% of my income suddenly disappeared.

Yes, you guessed right -- the frozen brains of Waterloo just laid another one.

Thanks for the new store, guys.  It's the worst app store ever.  Near-Zero marketing value for developers.

For the Nth time, you have chopped me down at the knees.

Goodbye.

Developer
jamesgibbons
My Device: Dev Alpha, PlayBook

Re: RIM? I will be glad to see you go bankrupt.

As a developer and BlackBerry user I am really glad to see a new BlackBerry World website. I think the upgraded UI is nice, but at the same time I would urge some changes before BB10 launches. I'm hoping this is an interim release that will pave the way for a much cleaner and interactive BB10 site. It would be great to see the BB10 design used for the website! 

Here are some changes I would really like to see for the website:

- Lots of large app screenshots and videos as opposed to long app descriptions. Please make the screenshots more prominent and allow for embedded YouTube videos.

- The new apps pane should be removed and replaced with recent Built for BlackBerry certified apps or staff picks. Otherwise, poor quality apps ruin the page.

- You shouldn’t have to click to see app categories

- The large RSS feed buttons are unnecessary
 - Using radio buttons to toggle between “Top Rated,” “Top Paid, “Top Free,” and “New Arrivals” isn’t the best UI choice in my opinion. Why not reuse the BB10 UI elements like this segmented control example (http://blackberry.github.com/jQueryMobile-BB10-Theme/kitchenSink/segmented_control.html)?

- On the “Apps,” “Games,” or “Themes” pages the listing of all apps/games/themes isn’t the best choice for displaying hundreds of thousands of apps

- Retina support: The main BlackBerry World logo is blurry on MacBook Pro Retina displays

- Sorting by name and by vendor name should be removed everywhere while there should be breakdowns between free and paid apps

- Sign in should not occur on a separate page

- The share icons are tiny to the point where they look like tacky add-ons.

- The top right navigation panel above the search bar contains too much content to be useful. The help button isn’t really that helpful and the “Learn More” dropdown seems out of place.

BlackBerry has been doing literally everything right with regards to BB10 that I would love to see a fantastic new BlackBerry World!

Warm regards Team BlackBerry,

James

My latest PlayBook app Photojam!

Find me on Twitter: GoGibbons
Developer
nzcoderguy
My Device: n/a

first poster - thats a fairly heavy post. How can you justify that it was the re-design that caused your revenue to drop? thats quite an accusation.

anyway - I personally didn't notice any difference in the Vendor Portal, and the slight differences in the AppWorld are nice, but subtle.

+Like this post, if you find it useful/helpful!
Developer
javoid
My Device: Dev Alpha B, Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

25% of something is better than 25% of nothing

I understand your frustration but sometimes companies need to make changes.  Apple has done this many times, and caused lots of their developers (including myself) to be upset as you are now.

It's the risk you take when using any app store for sales.  If you want improved reliability of sales, then an alternative is to promote your apps on the net with links to products in BlackBerry World.  This way if your product is no longer featured or has ratings adjustments, the external source will be able to generate the interest before the consumer arrives in BlackBerry World.

Even this is not a guarantee that sales won't be reduced, but that's the risk you take when choosing any app store as your marketplace.

If your upset with the store changes, then perhaps you should Tweet/Email Alec Sanders or other RIM exec's with links to this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-World-Development/App-World-Updated-Design/td-p/21...

https://twitter.com/asaunders

http://www.saunderslog.com/

That will probably get more positive changes than begging for RIM to go out of business.

Developer
nzcoderguy

yeah 25% of something is better than nothing indeed!

I guess some vendors have to blame something or someone.. 

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

An additional factor in this sentiment is that at last year's WWDC, I was in line with a couple of RIM 'engineers' and told them my BB income was going down instead of up, because I'd wasted a lot of time on some larger and more difficult projects that either didn't work or didn't sell.  They both grinned like they enjoyed it, and that fit with other perceptions of RIM's attitude toward indie devs.  They're amused when we struggle and go under?  alright, I reciprocate that.

Developer
nzcoderguy

Yikes! Crazyness
Developer
jamesgibbons
My Device: Dev Alpha, PlayBook

It is too bad when you have upsetting experiences like this, but for the most part I think RIM is doing everything possible to help indie developers. From rewarding every app developer with $100 per app and free alpha devices to the 10K deal I don't know what else they could realistically do! It is unfortunate when projects fail, but sometimes you have to smile and move on as fast as possible to the next project. Also, with regards to marketing you can always email the BB World team at RIM as they might be better suited to answering income related questions compared to BB engineers.

My latest PlayBook app Photojam!

Find me on Twitter: GoGibbons
Developer
nzcoderguy

I do appreciate all the kindness and support from RIM - its all in part of the BB10 launch.. they want to go big, so they have to spend big!

Developer
javoid
My Device: Dev Alpha B, Bold 9700

...I'd wasted a lot of time on some larger and more difficult projects that either didn't work or didn't sell. They both grinned like they enjoyed it...They're amused when we struggle and go under?

It's not always accurate to judge what others are thinking based on momentary body language.  Just because they smiled doesn't mean they were amused at your lower than expected results.

I don't know why they smiled, but one guess is because the state of the BB 10 software is still rather 'alpha-ish' with many things not working as they should.  It reminds me of the early releases of iOS with it's numerous little bugs and annoyances that needed to be worked around.

I expect the BB 10 software to be much better in 1-2 years, with larger projects running into less 'problems' during development.