Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

RIM - Please filter out garbage apps, titles, descriptions and screenshots from AppWorld for PlayBook

Dear RIM,

I realize that the "quality" of an app is subjective, but I'm seriously concerned with the quality of many recent submissions.

In particular there are several issues that need attention.

1. App Titles should not contain curse words: e.g. this app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/73517
  2. Near Duplicate apps should not be allowed: e.g. this app is 98% duplicate of the above app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/73518 or these 2 apps ( https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/72378 and https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/72374 )
  3. App descriptions shouldn't contain irrelivant details about Android devices that are clearly just copy/pastes from the android market.  Its fine to port android apps, but the descriptions shouldn't refer to eroneous android details... e.g. "for your android phone", "runs only on Android Froyo 2.2+"  etc. or even other unrelated quotes like: "download all kinds of format music for free to your sdcard".. there is no sdcard on the PlayBook
  4. App descriptions shouldn't include a bunch of characters that don't print properly (on web or device)... e.g. this app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/72385 is uncomprehenable and others like this: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/71380 include characters that just print "?" diamonds or similar because the browser can't show them
  5. There's also been a steady flow of over 400 "e-books" wrapped up as an Application. e.g. https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/61609 on a personal note (entirely IMHO) I don't think this is an appropriate use of apps, but more importantly they clutter the "new" section of apps completely.  I feel there should be a separate Book/Reference category where these "apps" can be placed... or users can filter better. e.g. I would like to be able to filter for just new "games" or just new "apps", or just new "books". I realize they are already in this category... we just need filtering options when looking for new apps
  6. screenshots of the appworld splash screen... or worse yet the android splash screen... should be filtered out of app submissions e.g. https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/screenshots/73526

Beyond these "partial app issues", there's several that are obvious "Hello World" apps that really should not be in AppWorld at all.  "it runs" doesn't qualify as a good app.  Unfortunately as much as I'd like to see a wide array of apps on the PlayBook... allowing the "garbage" apps into the market makes AppWorld (and the PlayBook device) appear un-professional... and "incapable" of running high quality apps (which we all know is untrue, PlayBook is a great platform with all kinds of abilities and great technology)

Cheers,

Steve

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: RIM - Please filter out garbage apps, titles, descriptions and screenshots from AppWorld for PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Indeed.  One of the things that has been good about the playbook is the dearth of "fart apps".  Trying to compete in the app numbers game with the likes of android and iphone isn't going to work -- and doing it at the price of quality removes the most compelling argument in favor of PlayBook apps. THis was done to a much lesser extent during the developer "free playbook" offer, but some of the names, descriptions, and apps ported from Android reach new lows. 

Then again, this is from the same company that  counts "ebooks" as apps - so I don't really expect that they'll do anything to change it.

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: RIM - Please filter out garbage apps, titles, descriptions and screenshots from AppWorld for PlayBook

These are Android apps ported by Handster.  What I don't understand from RIM is they let "everything" lose for Android apps like copyright material, app title, description etc...  I you view all the Handster apps you will see free games using copyrighted images

I had several BB apps that RIM had denied because it contains copyright images and word like "iPhone" and "Android" in the app and yet they let all Android ported **bleep** on appworld.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
julian_d
My Device: Z10, Q10, PlayBook
My Carrier: none

I'm agree with your points of view, allowing low quality apps or duplicates will not ever help the platform. 

App World staff should be more stricted when approving apps.

----------------------------------------------------------
Tapptil creates interactive books and apps for children and families.
Recent released apps: Lil Painter Free, First Words Animals Free
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

They should really just get rid of the new apps section. It is next to useless.

Then the top 25 new/free sections should have a link on the bottom to see the next 25. It needs to be easier to casually browse the app store in a manner in which all the good ones have been pushed to the top.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

steve_web wrote:

1. App Titles should not contain curse words: e.g. this app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/73517

I tweeted the link to that one to @alexkinsella and he replied "thanks for flagging", maybe it will be reviewed.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

The link currently replies that the app can not be found.

Still a bit disapointing that it got approved in the first place. Why do I have to wait through an approval process if this nonsense can get in?

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,845
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Good questions... have you asked Alec Saunders or Alex Kinsella that question?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

The way Handster is working currently is going may the Android porting to backfire on RIM. I do realise the developer agreement specifies not to submit copyrighted material, but there should be some basic checking. Just look at the Handster apps, one copied app after another.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

zezke wrote:

The way Handster is working currently is going may the Android porting to backfire on RIM. I do realise the developer agreement specifies not to submit copyrighted material, but there should be some basic checking. Just look at the Handster apps, one copied app after another.

I already said that in my other thread.  they are letting everything go and then denied us for small stuff like copyrighted words or trademark names.

somebody have to step and enough is enough.

Please use plain text.