Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: RIM - Please filter out garbage apps, titles, descriptions and screenshots from AppWorld for PlayBook

Wow, I too am surprised that apps like this are not being checked and some minimum threshold of quality is not being asked for. I know the "market" will determine which apps will do well, but when the store is over crowded with meaningless apps, it makes it harder for the consumer to discover "good" apps. If anything gets approved now, why have an approval process at all. I have had an app held up by App World for over 6 months because it does not integrate with BBM, which is not even available yet. We bought an Android tablet, and there is so much junk in the market place. And some of the "kids" games have ads that are totally targeted to adults.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
julian_d
My Device: Z10, Q10, PlayBook
My Carrier: none

Re: RIM - Please filter out garbage apps, titles, descriptions and screenshots from AppWorld for PlayBook

[ Edited ]
The android marketplace model is not a good one to follow, without a trusty reviewing proccess the App World will be cluttered and unmanageable. Consumers will get frustrated searching through a lot of "garbage" apps and they wil not risk to pay for an app that could be somehow mallicious. Also the App World is lacking on features... There is only a weekly section of 25 featured apps and you can not go further then 25 apps in the new apps list (adding new lists like New and noteworthy or Trending apps will help a lot), search algoritms are not the best, the preview images are too small (you can not make any ideea of the app by seeing those tiny images, a zoom button is needed) , there is no author page where you can go to see other apps from the same author and the list could go on... but I'm sure some of these things can be improved with a few effort and resources.
----------------------------------------------------------
Tapptil creates interactive books and apps for children and families.
Recent released apps: Lil Painter Free, First Words Animals Free
Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

One more item I feel compelled to add.

If the ported Android apps include "ad-based" models... the ads displayed should not be links back to install Android Apps.

There's multiple reasons why these types of apps/ads should be blocked but the primary one is they are useless!

PlayBook owners can't follow the ad and download the "raw" android app... and the App developer won't get any additional sales because they point to apps they can't install.

I personally believe that not only should the Android apps go through the same stringent review process that native/air/webworks apps go through... but they should actually be scruitenized even more!

There are far too many very low quality, confusing and inappropriate apps getting into AppWorld.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

steve_web wrote:

One more item I feel compelled to add.

If the ported Android apps include "ad-based" models... the ads displayed should not be links back to install Android Apps.

There's multiple reasons why these types of apps/ads should be blocked but the primary one is they are useless!

PlayBook owners can't follow the ad and download the "raw" android app... and the App developer won't get any additional sales because they point to apps they can't install.

I personally believe that not only should the Android apps go through the same stringent review process that native/air/webworks apps go through... but they should actually be scruitenized even more!

There are far too many very low quality, confusing and inappropriate apps getting into AppWorld.

One way to solve Android Player problem.  KILL ANDROID PLAYER

With the new CEO can we please have JAVA PLAYER like promised before!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
lastone
My Device: Not specified

In my opinion, Windows Marketplace is a great example of market. We could try the game before deciding to buy it.

Unfortunately, the world has changed. Everywhere people are talking about the number of applications in a market, hardware specifications.

And I think it can not filter garbage applications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
2. Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

And it is in the news: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/25/is-your-android-app-on-blackberry-app-world-without-you-knowing/

We tried warning you RIM. 

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

This is a joke and I see RIM don't even bother verifying the app or legal content.  With our BB apps always in review and denied by RIM how can RIM go and allow illegal software and content for the Andorid apps on AppWorld.

Just look at the Android puzzle apps you will see the Simpsons, Mickey Mouse, Superman etc...  You will never see these content on the BBOS.

Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman

Handster is an 'app world' offering Android, BB, iOS, etc. applications for mobile users (I can 35000 Android apps there).

AFAIK few months ago there was a news about few app worlds that had deal with RIM so their apps would be repackaged for BB App World w/o bothering developers/vendors so they would have one market more to conquere - 'no pain no gain' was eliminated.

My personal opinion is that if vendor accepts Handster's terms and if their terms (that nobody reads) allow such migration, you have no right to complain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Just curios: since when using "Berry" in app name is allowed?

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/86478/?lang=en

And I got an app rejected just because it had "BB" in the app name

Double standards?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

QuiteSimple wrote:

Just curios: since when using "Berry" in app name is allowed?

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/86478/?lang=en

And I got an app rejected just because it had "BB" in the app name

Double standards?

Cuz RIM does not care about Android apps.  Just look at all the illegal contents like names Mickey Mouse, SuperMan, Simpsons icons and names everywhere.  RIM doesn't even screen for those and yet when comes to BB apps they are like dictators.  I have an baseball schedule app for the BB and I can't even use MLB cuz it is copyrighted so you tell me why RIM is letting all the **bleep** go on Android?

Please use plain text.