Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
anthonyq
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530

Release Version Numbers: Potential Issue?

Hi,

I've now got three applications in the vendor portal, all waiting on RIM approval, and I have a quick question on each.

1) For my application UpToDateTV, I submitted release v1.5 for review before submitting v1.4 (there was an issue with v1.4).  The portal kept showing that I had outstanding releases after 1.5 was approved, so I sent 1.4 for review just to get it off the screen. Will this cause an issue once it is approved, and overwrite the current 1.5 release??

2) I just submitted an application called Canvas Fun under the static Try and Buy model.  The full version I uploaded first, as release 1.0, and the since I couldn't sign the lite/trial version under the same version number, I uploaded the trial as version 1.0.1, with the checkbox checked to mark it as a trial version. Is it okay that the trial version number is higher than the full version?

3) A week and a half ago, I submitted a game called Maze Addict. It is still showing "Pending Review" and the delay is getting me a little bit worried that there is an issue, as I was getting approvals for my other app within a couple of days.

Anything anyone can do that might speed up the process on getting these things approved would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much,
Anthony Quarella

Anthony
http://www.anthonyquarella.com
Accepted Apps: UpToDateTV
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
JordanMc
My Device: Top Secret BlackBerry 10 device

Re: Release Version Numbers: Potential Issue?

Hi  ,

I just took a look at all your application and I see they are all PlayBook applications.  When you submit a new release for your PlayBook, as long as its a higher incremental number, it will replace the previous release.  If you submit two release at the same time for a PlayBook app, we will only test the latest release and usualy deny the second one.  This helps us speed up our testing and approval times as we are not testing releases that will never go live on App World.  Hope this helps answer your questions.

Thanks,

Jordan

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Re: Release Version Numbers: Potential Issue?

Need to point out that what's supposed to happen is not always what actually happens.

Sometimes people do get served a lower version instead of the latest version, so if there's a problem with 1.4 then you should ask App World to deny that release so no-one will ever get it.

Also, sometimes it serves an earlier file bundle but labels it as the latest version, i.e. it might send out 1.4 but show it as 1.5, which will confuse matters when they report problems. Again, it's best to have all previous releases denied.

Static trials such as you are using have always been a problem, and are still a problem. In the past, it always sent out the highest version number, ignoring the Trial flag -- i.e. paying customers would get the trial, or people trying to download the trial would get the full version for free. In recent weeks I tried this again, and paying customers were getting trial versions. It's best not to use Try & Buy, and just submit the trial as a separate free product instead, with a Buy button linked to the full product.