Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
jaiaca
My Device: Z10

Sales and Stats from BB10 developer

Hi Everyone,

I've been spending some time looking around the net for stats on how BB10 developers were doing but couldn't find anything so I decided to write up a post on my own game - WordsPlus - was doing.

If anyone cares to share their numbers, questions or ideas on marketing feel free to comment - please only "BB10" apps/games and not Android ports with an existing user base, that will throw off the numbers. Thanks

Check out my entire blog post here: WordsPlus Stats

WordsPlus is a Built for BlackBerry certified game released at launch.

February: Total downloads: 175, Version: v1.0, Price: $0.99 sale

Distribution

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

Re: Sales and Stats from BB10 developer

Nice read
BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook

Good post, interested to hear other peoples experiences so far.
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Thanks for the data. I will probably be posting something myself within the next week or so...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

It will be interesting to post those numbers again in about 2 months to see what the US market does for you.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

[ Edited ]

Nice post, for those apps that missed the initial launch week what were figures like then?

Are you looking for us to post you the purchase reports for you to combine, would be nice if you could but it could be a lot of work? 

Perhaps we should also separate/identify new apps from those that are upgrades from previous platforms as I've already seen from other users that there is a large disjoint between the two.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
jaiaca

Thanks for all the comments...

Now ofcourse no one is "required" to post any stats or sales figures :robothappy: But if you find an interesting spike or dip in numbers, or if you have a great marketing trick, it would be nice to see the result - before and after type numbers which will hide your total revenue.

@BBSJdev I'm thinking new apps only (and their updates) but no apps from other platforms because they already have a built in userbase which will mess up "real" figures of BB10 built apps - in my opinion - or you can just put the numbers but just clearly identify that it was an older game from another platform.

I do plan on updating the post at least for a couple months after US launch (and Q10) so stay tuned!

Thanks

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Thanks for the post, Jason, really helpful!

Btw your app will stay featured for a week only, unless it is featured again next week.

I'm kind of disappointed of the sales numbers, I expected more from a nice game like yours (I got it when it was free :smileytongue:). With that pace you will make over $1K for the $10K comittment, but I thought that BFB games will make $10K by their own... Anyway, let's see the US launch. Finger crossed to reach the Angry Birds success :smileywink:

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
jaiaca

@Quite Simple glad to hear it was helpful. Thanks for the info on how long things are featured.

Honestly, I'll say I'm actually pleased to see the numbers I currently have - however, I had no expectations so in that case, it's easy to be pleased :robothappy:

Given that WordsPlus is a more casual word search game than other action/arcade/faster pace type games I expect there to be a slow uptake but a long one.

Also, I believe the low(er) numbers has a lot to do with brand name recognition. If a user came from iOS or Android or even older BB platforms they would already know about most games currently available for BB10...I would bet 80-90% of all currently available games on BB10 were previously existing titles. This obvisously makes it extremely hard for a newbie with a new game to get noticed (but it would be even harder on other platforms).

Maybe BlackBerry could have a "Original / Exclusive Titles" section??? If your game shows up on any other platform it's removed from the section. No one else does this but it's just an idea.

In my postion (and probably any indie developer), I think free is the way to go and hope that ads and in-app payments make it worth while. However, I didn't do that, lol, but I am thinking of creating a "lite" version of WordsPlus which would have the main purpose of marketing the quality and entertainment value of the paid version. I could then do some comparison charts.

Depending on how interested people are in the numbers I could may be do a week by week update (post and forum) of WordsPlus. I'll also report on any strange spikes or dips during the US launch and whenever my update comes out (v1.1 is sitting in the approval queue for a while now but we have too many threads on that topic already, lol).

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900

you need to raise your expectations :smileytongue:. Hint email the BlackBerry ethusiats blogs with your app. If its good you should be able to hit min ~100 sales a day.

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!