Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
namit2013
My Device: Z10

Sandbox users

Hi,
I am trying to give some people free copies of my app as a promotion, so I added their BBIDs as Sandbox users to my vendor account. They are not being charged today when they download, but will they able to download again if they wipe their phone? I'm removing them from sandbox after they download today. If they can't download again in the future for free, how can I give free copies of my app? Also can they leave reviews?

Thanks,
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Sandbox users

Your best bet, seeing as you have their details would be for them to purchase the app and for you to then personally refund them.

Until they purchase the app from the store itself they won't be able to leave a review.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Regular Contributor
namit2013

Would they be able to atleast redownload it in the future, if I remove them from sandbox tonight?
Thanks
Regular Contributor
namit2013

Can how we make promotional codes?
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

I believe promo codes are still in the testing phase but may be in the next BBW update sometime in the New Year.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

namit2013 wrote:
Would they be able to atleast redownload it in the future, if I remove them from sandbox tonight?

They would not. The sandbox stuff basically lets them bypass purchasing the app, but doesn't add it to their account. They would not be able to re-download in future unless you added them back (or they purchased it) and they wouldn't even get automatic notifications of updates, as your regular users would.

The sandbox mechanism is not intended for use with any sort of regular users, but just for testing, or perhaps to let reviewers get copies of your apps for free.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10

I have a "Freemium" app where the user can download and install it for free, but must pay via BB World to unlock "premium" features. I built in logic that allows me to send a user a special upgrade code tied to their device PIN they can enter on a "secret" page that bypasses the need to purchase the upgrade. This way, since they downloaded the basic app via BB World, they will be notified of any updates to the application. If they need to reinstall the app they can always reenter the upgrade code again. I use this to allow press reviewers access to the full application without needing to purchase an upgrade.

That said, about six months ago I gave some thought to implementing coupon codes when BlackBerry doesn't include this feature in BB World. I haven't implemented it, but this is what I was considering:

Let's say your app normally costs $3.99, but you would like to have coupons to purchase it for $2.99, $1.99, or $0.99. In your app you have an upgrade page that implements PaymentManager to purchase an upgrade. On this page you have a space to enter a coupon code.

First you create a virtual good for each price level. Next you implement a server somewhere that your app can query to validate the coupon codes, and which returns an in-app good ID for the associated price. When the user enters a coupon code in the app upgrade page, it is sent to your server, which checks it is valid and active, and then returns the good ID associated with that code, or the regular upgrade good ID if it isn't valid. Your app then uses this good ID to retrieve a price for the upgrade, and then make the purchase. This way you can have time-limited coupons since your server can determine if the coupon has expired and send back the good ID for the regular price if it has.

If you want the coupon code to allow a free upgrade you can return a code that your app will recognize as an instruction to just go ahead and perform the upgrade without going through BB World.

As I said, I haven't tried this, and there is probably a better way to do it, but until BlackBerry gives us a coupon code feature, something like this might be a workaround.

namit2013 wrote:
Can how we make promotional codes?

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.