Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Trusted Contributor
Magnetic_dud
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Search by name

Hi, I created a free app to see if the GPS works or not (the only other alternative is priced $1.99 and uses comic sans as a font... ugh...)

Is this, http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/104160/ but on the playbook if I search for "GPS" i don't find it, it is normal?

Should I update the name with "GPS Test" instead of "GPSTest" to find it in the app world?

I thought the playbook app world searches also in the description, instead it's not?

Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10

Re: Search by name

I noticed this too.  It started happening yesterday as far as I can tell.

As an example.  When I search on magnetometer on the Playbook I get "no results".  Previously, I would get several apps showing, such as Compass, What's Up, and mine.  When I do the same search on the PC at App World's web site I get all of the ones I used to get on the Playbook.

This makes it very hard to find things that someone might be interested in.  I hope this is a mistake that gets corrected.

Developer
mmd12

I contacted rhearty just now and he seems to have fixed the problem.  Had something to do with the new OS for the Playbook.  Kudos to him.

Trusted Contributor
Magnetic_dud
My Device: Z10

I still can't find my app "GPSTest" by searching "GPS Test" (in description there are both words)
I'll rename my app...
Developer
mmd12

I must have spoken too soon.

I too searched on some of the key words in my app's description and didn't get a hit.  Although the "magnetometer" search I mentioned earlier now works, the previous searches on key words don't.  These searches do work on the web browser site of App World.

Hopefully, Ryan can work his magic on the server side, otherwise, it seems we might to wait for it to get corrected in the next release of the OS.

Pity, that.

I hope something can be done so that users can browse the apps that might interest them rather than having an overly narrow view of what's available.

Contributor
brew1
My Device: playbook 16 gig

I just mentioned this in another thread, but its relevant here too. Search results are only showing if the word matches the title or the dev name, nothing else. Man I hope this is corrected soon!!! Not only is my game near impossible to find now, but I can’t find anything else either! When I search for key words I am getting little to no results! This is horrible
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Interesting. If you type in "map", you only get some of them. It would be 2 second change to do searches on partial letters and/or use some kind of matching routine like soundex.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-580

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

If you are the owner of 580, could you make it public? Would like to vote on it.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

All,

We're aware of the recent negative changes to how Search works.  It was modified recently due to server load issues identified on our end.  We've temporarily removed the search of 'App Descriptions'.  Search will continue to work off of 'App Name' and 'Vendor Name'.

This is not a permanent change and will be restored as soon as the underlying issues are resolved.

We understand and apologize for how this will affect app discovery for the duration.