Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Slowdown in sales.

I don't think you can blame only RIM product sales for the drop off in app sales. Is it not more likely you're reaching saturation. 

Do you market the app? Are you positioned reasonably high in your category? Are there new competitors in your category?

It could just be that someone has produced a better app.

I'm in a fairly competitive category with at least a dozen competitors. My sales actually exploded in January but have tailed off ever since. I was featured in the ribbon during January which explains the increase.

Of course its possible its a downturn in RIM sales but since they're still more or less equal to Apple in market share even in the US it seems unlikely. Check the stats don't believe the media.

The big difference is the growth of Android devices, but most of those are bought by people who previously had cell phones. Hence RIM has remained stable, Apple has grown a little and Android has exploded in growth.

Thing about Android owners (and forgive the implication of this statement it's a generalization) is they tend to have less cash. Hence the proliferation in $0 dollar Android devices with a plan, and by all accounts lower sales for developers.

A friend of mine with a decent PlayBook app is selling twice the number of apps than am I, and that with only 250,000 owners. Seems PlayBook owners like apps.

RIM really has messed up their marketing though. They should never have announced they were releasing QNX smart phones and they announced the 9900 too early. It's anyones guess as to why no new phones are released, but I'd guess its because the channel inventory is too high. 

There's now a pent up demand for the new Bold (I know I'd like one), and no one will buy other devices because they know new phones are on their way. Still, at least they've modified the message about QNX phones.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Don't blame RIM. Work harder to make your apps better.

In the last month I've seen sales go up from the previous month, and the second most sales of any month this year.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

no one blaimed RIM here.