Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Survey - APP WORLD DO YOU LISTEN?

Recently App World sent out a survey -- a very long survey, that took a lot more time than expected, and asked too much information.

What's the point of a survey when you don't even listen to repeated complaints about glaring issues that have been a problem since App World came out?

Let me bring up a few again:

1. SALES PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.  If you hadn't noticed, every store in creation has some items ON SALE; this is a marketing technique.  But at App World, it's a major problem to place something on sale, or take it off sale.  We have to first change the description, then wait for it to be approved.  Then it will gradually start showing for the users over a period of days or even weeks.  When to change the price amidst that?  When you do change the price, that also is a major problem -- it lists as the sale price, then bills them the full price.  And that problem lasts for days to weeks.  As a result, placing something on sale often just breaks the product's momentum.  Sales fall despite the lower price, because people feel they are being deceived or tricked.  When it's taken off-sale, there's another break in the momentum.

2. EVERY TIME A NEW PHONE COMES OUT WE HAVE TO EDIT EVERY RELEASE FOR COMPATIBILITY.   How do you expect developers to go on doing that, as our catalogs grow?  It's a waste of time and a contributor to our carpal tunnel syndrome.  Why can't App World have a system like MobiHand, where each build is marked compatible with certain display resoutions and operating system versions -- and as new devices come out, or people upgrade their operating systems, they're automatically compatible with the correct file bundle?  There's a model-specific override option in the cases where a build really is for a specific model, but who codes like that?  Usually, the only reason there are different builds at all, is because of OS incompatibility.  A well-written app can adapt to any phone model or display resolution, as long as the API's used are recognized by the phone.  So it's just a massive waste of time.  When submitting an app, we should be able to select just OS compatibility, and the rest should be automatic by default, with the option to override.

3. THE SYSTEM KICKS YOU OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF EDITING A DESCRIPTION.  It should offer a pop-up warning first, or at least don't time out while we're in the middle of typing.

4. EVERY TIME YOU EDIT SOMETHING, YOU GET KICKED BACK TO PAGE 1, THE PAGE SELECTION CONTROLS ARE TOO SMALL, AND THE SITE IS TOO SLOW TO SWITCH PAGES.  Come to think of it, under that 1-2-3-4-5-6, there should be A-B-C-D-E-F-G etc., so you can find an app by its name, not have to memorize which page each app is on, which changes as you add more.  But kicking you back to page 1 after every edit, that's just a waste of time and another contributor to carpal tunnel syndrome and "I Hate This Platform" syndrome.

5. CUSTOMER SUPPORT REQUESTS DO NOT INCLUDE ANY INFORMATION AT ALL.  Notice how App World doesn't allow anyone -- us or the customers -- to contact them without giving basic information.  If you're going to dump all the front-line support on us, then you can include a form like that in App World so that when WE get a support email, it includes things like the customer name, THE PRODUCT, the OS version, phone model, version number of the app, whether it's a distribution/billing issue or an app issue, and then REQUIRE an explanation of the issue.

6. DISTRIBUTION AND BILLING SUPPORT SHOULD NOT BE DIRECTED TO DEVELOPERS.  It is not our responsibility, and it is wrong for App World to just slap a single Contact Support button on the app that sends everythign our way, and gives the user no easy way to find a way to contact the App World store.  There should be a selector, "does this relate to distribution, billing, or the app itself?", and then that Contact Support button should send the email appropriately to App World or the app's developer.  It's ridiculous how much email comes in related to store issues.

7. NO ACCESS TO ACCOUNTS, AND NO FORWARD-TO-STORE.  How are we supposed to support the issues you send our way, distribution and billing, if we cannot even look up the customer's purchase or forward their request to the store?  When we have to redirect them to your web form, it's hard on the customers, and just ticks them off.  They write an explanation and then have to write it over again.  If everything is coming to us first, give us a forward.  Why won't App World do that?  Because it wouldn't contain the information in the form.  Then you should ask all that information before sending the support request to us in the first place, it's a complete discourtesy to us not to.

8. STATIC TRY & BUY STILL DOES NOT WORK.  As a result, we're forced to either use keys (which also don't work properly, there's a constant stream of support email over that), or else publish the trial as a separate product.  That is detrimental, since the product does not list as "Free Trial Available", and therefore may not get as many views.

9. NO BUILT-IN RPN KEYING.  Most of the problems with keying could probably be solved by letting us specify a RPN formula to generate the key, instead of having App World talk to our server to generate a key.  It would eliminate a link in the chain.  Every other store on Earth can do this, but App World does not offer this option.  We can enter a single key, but should be able to enter a formula.  There's just no excuse why that should not be there, it would be the solution that most vendors would choose if it were offered.

10. APP WORLD is contributing to developers not wanting to develop for BlackBerry, and that includes your beloved new baby the PlayBook.

So again, what was the point of that long survey, when you don't respond to what we've been complaining about for years?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
solisisq
My Device: bold 9000
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Survey - APP WORLD DO YOU LISTEN?

As I read over this post you were unaware of the absolute rage that was boiling in my blood. My anger so wildly out of control that I couldn't even extend the minimal effort required to program even html. I was rotting.

My anger was not at you though. It was at the disaster of a website blackberry has cursed us with. The very site you are complaining about. Why, it took me some 45 minutes of dancing through idiotic irrelevant hoops just to eventually assume this is where I post for support. I caved in. I gave up. I am clearly not "smart" enough to navigate this toilet. Either that or BB really does put this little effort in their products. Mediocrity. Gotta love it.

Good thing for me I'm the resident BB developer. Everyone else gets to develop for REAL platforms, like Android and iPhone. Hell, even Palm Pilot would be better.

I used to believe that any platform was only limited by the developers. I take that back. BB had better rethink this septic tank or they'll lose developers. No developers. No apps. Then it's all up to your precious messaging system and thousand year leases to major corporations to keep this thing alive.

... really man, all I wanted to do was update my company's paypal email address. Thanks a lot.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

Last night I was boiling too, after being unable to respond to some of the most idiotic and false reviews ever. Download my own app, try adding a review. Sorry, a review can't be left now, please try again later, and that reply you just typed -- gone. So, try again with the web store. Log in, find app. Click Add Review and type review again. Sorry, you must first download the app (BtW, I already did!). Then why did you offer me the button and let me type a review I can't submit? OK, download app. Your plugin needs to be updated. Download that first. But it can't update because the browser is open. OK, close everything else I was working on, restart browser. Download app again. Plug in the phone, type password. Plugin error. Reset My World. Plugin error. OK, restart computer and phone. Log back in, search app. Click download. Waiting, plug phone in, enter password. Plugin error. Log out, plug phone in first this time. Log in, type phone password too. Plugin error. Try 10 other times. Plugin error. Plugin error. Try again on the phone. Your review can't be submitted now, try again later.

So... Customers can libel my app and business, but I can't reply, can't leave a review of my own by way of answer, and have to wait for a support ticket to go through. Again. I reported this exact same sequence of dysfunction months ago.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
solisisq

It's really too bad I'm the only one that's listening.

By the way, I have never been able to review any of the 6 products we have on the market. They've been downloaded like 1000 times and nobody has reviewed. I would like to see at least one, even if it is totally awful and declares my apps to be the worst on the market. I just want to know reviews can be left.

Good luck. Though I know our plight will be ignored forever and this **bleep** cake will just grow larger, at least I don't feel so alone in my increasing discomfort with this platform...

need to get rich so I can drop this BB nonsense.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cwong15
My Device: Not Specified

If you think a review is unfair, you could request that it be denied. Once you click the "Deny review" button, a ticket will be opened. You can go to the ticket history and add a comment explaining your reasoning. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
cwong15
My Device: Not Specified

solisisq wrote:

By the way, I have never been able to review any of the 6 products we have on the market. They've been downloaded like 1000 times and nobody has reviewed. I would like to see at least one, even if it is totally awful and declares my apps to be the worst on the market. I just want to know reviews can be left.

Why don't you download one of those apps and try leaving your own review? In the past, I had suspected that App World was failing to post reviews, so I tried reviewing my own app. The review posted fine. Oh well. If you tried to leave a review and it did not appear, you would have details that you can contact RIM about: "I left a review for this app under this account with this text on this date, and it did not appear".

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
solisisq

Did you not see silver20's comment above? It explains exactly why I did not. I could not. Not possible.

Glad it works for you and so many others, but it totally fails for me, and with much aggrivation and no explanation. silver20 and I are totally experiencing the same things. I just gave up trying. It's not worth the anger I experience trying to negotiate with this terrible broken system. I swear man, I'm about to burn down a village or something.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

I wonder if maybe sandbox accounts are barred from leaving reviews, but for Lazaridis' sake, why can't it say that instead of wasting an hour and risking a stroke.

Yes they will deny reviews, but now we're back to the "the rating still counts" rule, and it will still take down the app for a while. Don't know about you all, but I've observed a real 'momentum' phenomenon in the store -- however and whyever it works that way, it's there. I've caught (or at least strongly suspect based on the user name) a competitor slamming my product when it approached his in Top Paid, and that did coincide with my app falling off Top Paid and it never recovered. Also, it's tragic for a product launch to fail when 3 out of 800 downloaders didn't bother to read the 1st sentence of the description and posted bad reviews based on what they thought it would be instead of what it said it would be. That phase when something is in New Apps is critical, bad reviews during that half-day period can ruin the launch. It would be a lot better if reviews below 3-star were deferred for a few days pending vendor review, or if requesting denial immediately removed the review pending App World deciding whether to reinstate it or grant the request.

They HAVE improved the store over the years. Whether they've improved or ruined the platform itself, is debatable. But it's not at a level like Apple's store. I realize I'm just a nobody even compared with the nobodies, but RIM is a corporation with money and technical resources. Come on, does it have to be this bad?

And again, what was the point of that survey when the big problems are already known, and unsolved?

[/friday night's alright for rantin']
Please use plain text.
Developer
KenSalmon
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Bell

And the really fun part:

You think you're doing everything right, and you submit to App World, and get a rejection email. An email that bears no relation whatsoever to what you submitted. Puzzled, you ask them for clarification and get no answer. So you go through the motions all over again, triple and quadruple checking everything. You're so certain you've dotted all the i's, and crossed all the t's. Submit again. The submit/deny/submit/deny cycle takes a few days.

And get denied again.

Finally, after receiving no response from App World, and going public, you get a public answer that for a couple of days or so, App World rejected a whole bunch of submissions. Because they "tested" apps on the wrong platform and didn't understand the results, so they just sent out emails denying your submissions, the denials having nothing to do with your app.

Meanwhile, the updated description and screenshots of your app do get posted to App World, but not the new release of the app. Users see an update and download. Big spike in downloads visible via the Vendor portal. So you know there's lots of downloads. But the users got the old version, because the new version of the app was wrongly denied, and the old version no longer matches the updated descriptons that the users (your customers!) see.

Unhappy customers.

The only statement from RIM? Oops, we're sorry.

Oh yeah, that's so much fun.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20

Syncing metadata to binaries during updates is something I forgot to include in my original list; I think I've begged for it so much it was actually drained from my memory. Yes, that's a problem and makes us look stupid, could even subject us to accusations of false advertising. It has also sometimes sent out the old version but numbered as the new version -- in the download chart, in the customer's "My World", and even in Options/Applications. That's so stupid I think it shorted out my memory.

Please use plain text.