Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

Theme Development

Hey Guys, 

Just a few quick questions about developing themes.

1.  For the average theme, how many downloads should you expect?

2. When choosing images and backgrounds, do you have to purchase the images from somewhere to avoid copyright laws (i.e. just saving from Google images)

3. If you add sound affects or ringtones, will you get into copyright trouble if you just pick a song from itunes for the ringtone and then distribute it with your theme. 

I think that is about everything. I know most of these are rookie questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Theme Development

1. You only get downloads when your theme is visible. When you release the theme, if it is free you will get something like 100-1000 downloads depending on how good it looks. For a paid theme you may get 2-10 sales. It all depends on how long your theme stays in the newest. After that an average theme would stop getting downloads / sales unless featured.

2. Yes if you are using copyrighted material with all rights reserved. You can though get stuff from flicker with CC license.

3. Ringtones can get you into trouble since the lawyers of the recording labels actively look for infringement. And they actually don't add any value to the theme anyway and most certainly don't alter the buying behavior.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

thanks so much.. very detailed answers
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900

adwiv wrote:

1. You only get downloads when your theme is visible. When you release the theme, if it is free you will get something like 100-1000 downloads depending on how good it looks. For a paid theme you may get 2-10 sales. It all depends on how long your theme stays in the newest. After that an average theme would stop getting downloads / sales unless featured.

2. Yes if you are using copyrighted material with all rights reserved. You can though get stuff from flicker with CC license.

3. Ringtones can get you into trouble since the lawyers of the recording labels actively look for infringement. And they actually don't add any value to the theme anyway and most certainly don't alter the buying behavior.

those are really bad sales figures you're quoting. I hope thye are not average... or else i wouldnt be too interested in making themes =/

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer

Your mileage may vary. All I know is that there are 26000+ themes on appworld of which only 1200 sell on any given day.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900

where did u get that stats?

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer