Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
jaybb
My Device: Not Specified

Things I have learned from my first submission

I have gained often from the wisdom and experience of others here, so I thought I'll share some of my experience (cant claim any wisdom :-) from my recent first submission to App World. This is information that I couldnt easily find when I wanted it, so maybe others will find this useful:

1. You will need a 480x480 version of your icon for submission

2. You can have up to 16 screenshots in your submission, BUT they cannot include any BlackBerry likeness. Thus if you use the simulator to capture screenshots, use LCD captures rather than full-device captures

3. My app took 14 calendar days to approve in mid-april

4. During this time, it stays in Pending status, and you are free to modify the submission with new images, executables, etc as many times as you wish

5. There are times when the Vendor Portal will just CRAWL where each page takes a minute to load. 

6. IF YOU HAVE A PRICED PRODUCT THAT USES A LICENSE MODEL THEN YOU CANNOT SWITCH IT TO FREE. Because Free products cannot have a license model, and your product is already coded to require a license

7. To see how your product is doing in terms of sales, you can run and download a couple of CSV files, one that lists downloads and another that lists purchases. This will show the date/time, phone model, carrier/country of the the end user

8. Unlike Android/Google Checkout, here you dont get any info about your customer

9. The Digital River financial reporting doesnt kick in until at least the first monthly deposit, and even then I am not sure how much customer detail it will include? On Google Checkout I find it very useful to correlate customer quies and issues with when they purchased the product, or how many times they canceled/refunded, whethe rtheir credit card failed, etc

10. THERE IS NO WAY FOR THE CUSTOMER OR THE DEVELOPER TO EASILY REVERSE A PURCHASE. Unlike other app markets,  here the developer cannot do a refund, and the user does not get a "grace period" within which they can easily request and get a full refund. The user can appeal to RIM, and if it is an App World issue, RIM MAY issue a refund, but its not in the hands of the developer.

11. Changes made through the portal "can take up to 24 hours" to propagate to App World, and there is a chance that you might have changed the price, and the customer sees the new price but gets charged the old price or vice versa during the 24 hour period. At least this is what the Storefront Manager rep warned me of when I inquired about changing pricing.

12. The storefront guys are very responsive, particularly when I compare them with their Android and iPhone counterparts. 

On a diiferent note, one of my biggest frustrations has been the inconsistencies between API docs and actual behavior (4.7 Storm) on the device, and the different behaviors of an app even between one device and the next of the same model and OS.  

Ok, thats some of what I have learned so far. Hope this was useful. Others feel free to add your experiences so we can make life a little easier for those who come after us.

Developer
Nelvin
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Things I have learned from my first submission

Changing the license model after your app was approved seems to be a problem in general. I switched form Paid/Static to Try&Buy/Static but was not able to get it working as expected - so after a few days trying different settings with the help of the storefront support I eventually changed it back to Paid/Static and added a new release to get it back to the initial license model.

If you do have a special bundle for Storm set the min required OS to 4.7.

I second that the support team is very fast and helpful.

Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Re: Things I have learned from my first submission

I waited about 14 days before contacting the app store guys.  It turns out the reviewer tested on a device older than what I supported, there was a runtime exception (obviously), and the submission was rejected.  I did not receive any notification of the rejection, but after contacting RIM they retested it and approved it within the day.

Earl

Earl Oliver